?

No account? Create an account
_Survivors_
A safe space to share stories and ask questions
Sometimes it is hard for me to go shopping alone. Some days I can… 
2nd-Dec-2006 07:02 pm
Sometimes it is hard for me to go shopping alone. Some days I can feel everything that everyone around me is feeling. So many people at the grocery store were depressed, stressed or mean. It was overwhelming.
Sometimes certain people creep me out so much that I do not even want to breathe as I walk past them. I've never met them and just in passing they seem so "wrong".
On the other end of it I can instantly like a person and am very uplifted by anyone in a positive mood

Does this make sense?

Are there any other survivors of emotional abuse that get a heightened sensitivity to others emotions?
Comments 
3rd-Dec-2006 12:21 am (UTC)
I'm a survivor of emotional abuse, and I'm really good at sensing others' moods. I suspect that part or all of it is a survival mechanism.
3rd-Dec-2006 12:26 am (UTC)
OH MY GAWD yes that makes total sense. There are people that come into the stores I work at that make my skin crawl. But a smile or a thank you and expecially an excuse me makes my day. I have also had similar feeling passing by people I think are rather creepy. I also have a heightened sensitivity to the emotions of others. Acutally a heightened sensitivity to everything really ;)
3rd-Dec-2006 12:29 am (UTC)
I should add that everything you said makes perfect sense to me. I feel the same way about people who creep me out or who are just generally nasty. It feels like they're becoming a part of me if I breath in their air or smell. And really happy, upbeat and positive people are very uplifting to be around. I've read literature that suggests that some people may unconciously take from another person's energy levels. This explains why it can be so draining to be around certain people, even if they're nice, pleasant people. Apparently there's ways to replenish yourself and then shield yourself so others don't suck on you, and you don't suck on them. I've been meaning to study the subject a bit more closely, and I'll try to find the titles and authors of the books I saw, if you'd like.
3rd-Dec-2006 01:31 am (UTC)
I would appreciate the titles as well. I have read on the subject before, but would like additional information.
3rd-Dec-2006 05:03 am (UTC)
i would also like more info on those books
3rd-Dec-2006 06:06 pm (UTC)
Though this is a broad list, here's a good list of books which tackle the subject of empathy, here
3rd-Dec-2006 06:06 pm (UTC)
Though this is a broad list, here's a good list of books which tackle the subject of empathy, here
3rd-Dec-2006 04:36 pm (UTC)
I used to get that ALL the time. It was kinda scary sometimes.
While it's great to be able to have that sense, it's a good thing to be able to block out when you need to. After time and practice you can learn to turn it on and off more, and it's a very cool thing to have. =)
3rd-Dec-2006 06:04 pm (UTC)
Oh how I know that feeling. Survivors develop a knack for sensing others' moods - as it was at one point a survival skill to predict someone else's moods. So when we're out in public, it's sensory overload sometimes. I often hold my breath when passing by creepy people, I can't stand to breathe their air.

So many survivors are seriously empathic. It's a blessing and a curse - it's great when we encounter positive people, and horrible when we encounter creeps.
3rd-Dec-2006 11:57 pm (UTC)
Yes, all the time. Angry/stressed men make me extremely uncomfortable.
4th-Dec-2006 08:49 am (UTC)
Me too. The empathy thing comes from dealing with one of them for way too many years for me. I also tend to be afraid to OFFEND men who are of a certain age range, though I don't fear to offend those a bit younger.
This page was loaded Nov 15th 2019, 2:51 am GMT.