Rachel Grace (invisiblepast) wrote in _survivors_,
Rachel Grace
invisiblepast
_survivors_

I have my first appointment with a counselor this coming Friday.

I have to admit, I'm nervous... okay, REALLY nervous about it.

A bit of background info - my parents found something I posted online where I talk about 'spacing out' and such (dissociation), and asked me if I wanted a counselor. I said yes. Anyhow, I don't want to talk about my abuse - not yet, at any rate. That requires a lot of trust, and I'm not going to go spilling that to anybody. I already had a bad experience with a psychiatrist, where everything I said was told to my mother. It was unrelated to abuse, but nevertheless, it's definately made it even harder for me to trust professionals.

How do I know if my counselor is a good fit? What sort of things should I talk about? What sort of things is she going to ask me about?

I'm really nervous about this, so any helpful hints or the like would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-Rachel Grace
Tags: seeking support, therapy
Subscribe

• Thought-Stirring Post: Public Entry

Therapy is a popular topic here at _survivors_ . In fact, there are so many posts about it that we have two relevant tags: therapy and…

• Thought Stirring Post Public

Therapy can play a large part in the healing process for many (though not all) survivors. Finding a therapist can be as easy as Googling or opening…

• Thought Stirring Question: Public

One of the ways in which abuse and rape survivors process the trauma they've survived is through therapy. There are many different kinds of therapy:…

• Post a new comment

Error

Comments allowed for members only

Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

default userpic

Your reply will be screened

Your IP address will be recorded 

• 10 comments

• Thought-Stirring Post: Public Entry

Therapy is a popular topic here at _survivors_ . In fact, there are so many posts about it that we have two relevant tags: therapy and…

• Thought Stirring Post Public

Therapy can play a large part in the healing process for many (though not all) survivors. Finding a therapist can be as easy as Googling or opening…

• Thought Stirring Question: Public

One of the ways in which abuse and rape survivors process the trauma they've survived is through therapy. There are many different kinds of therapy:…