spokenonlyonce (spokenonlyonce) wrote in _survivors_,
spokenonlyonce
spokenonlyonce
_survivors_

interventions

Hey everyone,

I just now (as in, five minutes ago) joined this community so I apologize if I'm asking something that's recently been talked about.

Basically I am looking for some advice on staging an intervention for my sister. Has anyone here been involved in an intervention for a woman in an abusive relationship? What can make them effective or ineffective? What are the dos and don'ts?

My sister has been with an abusive boyfriend since about February, and he's gotten progressively worse, to the point that he's moved beyond verbal abuse and emotional manipulation and begun using physical violence (hair-pulling, pinching, etc.). We have all been trying to encourage her, support her, and hoping and praying that she would get out of it, but it just hasn't happened. She knows that she needs some assistance, so is willing to get counseling and has even called a counselor, but they are playing phone tag because it is so hard for her to get away from him long enough to call. I am beginning to think a more drastic step is needed. It would be possible for several of her family members and friends to stage an intervention and take her to visit our grandma a few states away for several weeks or even a month or two, to get her away from him, get her hooked up with a counselor there, and let her stay until she feels strong enough to stay away from him. Is this a good idea? Bad idea? I've never been through anything like this and am trying to understand, but I would like some input from people who've been there.

Thanks so much.
Tags: leaving abuser, seeking support: for a friend
Subscribe

• You were Wild. Where are you now?

"History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be un-lived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again." - Maya Angelou All my life I've…

• Opions needed...thanks

I've come to realize that this place isn't my home. My parents, my sister, and my niece are my world...But living here is...holding me back. I live…

• Emotional exhuastion

It's the end of semester 1 for uni here so I'm tired. We're moving no sooner than the 8 June. I'm feeling emotionally exhausted and like I want to…

• Post a new comment

Error

Comments allowed for members only

Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

default userpic

Your reply will be screened

Your IP address will be recorded 

• 6 comments