?

No account? Create an account
_Survivors_
A safe space to share stories and ask questions
Doctor mess update 
2nd-Jun-2006 08:20 pm

A while back I posted an entry about seeing a psychiatrist. I only really need to see a psychiatrist for medication management; I see a counselor for actual therapy. Before I had the appointment with the psychiatrist, his office sent me a questionnaire about my personal history. When I filled it out, I mentioned that my father had molested and raped me and that my ex-husband had raped me. When I went to the appointment, the doctor asked me about what my father had done, if I had resisted or if it was "just statutory rape". It took me about a day or so to get over being shocked and start getting offended and angry.

I talked to my counselor about the remark, because she is the one who referred me to him and I wanted to check with her (both as my counselor and as a mental health professional) whether she felt that remark was out of line or whether I was overreacting.

When I talked to my boyfriend (who is a paramedic and sometimes has to ask people odd questions) about the remark, he thought that the doctor had maybe just been a bit careless in his phrasing.

My counselor said she'd call the doctor and talk to him about it. I saw her yesterday and she said she'd spoken to him.

According to my counselor, the doctor was trying to figure out exactly what had happened to me. (My thought was, "Well, then, why in hell didn't he just say 'What exactly did he do to you? Can you give me a bit more detail?'" That would have been much easier for me to take than the "just statutory rape" remark. I had a psychiatrist about ten years ago ask me to write it out if I couldn't say it out loud, which was MUCH easier.) She also said that he said he didn't mean that what my dad did was anything other than gravely wrong, regardless of my reaction or lack thereof, and that he said that if I get upset, I can leave a session if need be.

In any case, I have six days' worth of my medication left, so I'm going to make at least one more appointment with this doctor so that I can at least not stop taking my med.

*crosses fingers* Here's hoping that it was just a not-so-great first session; I really don't want to have to find another doctor. It's such a pain in the arse.
Comments 
3rd-Jun-2006 02:31 am (UTC)
check your prescription to see if he listed that you have a refill or two on your prescription. sometimes, you can even call the pharmacy and just ask them to refill a precription. not sure what the policy is.

what a FUCKED UP thing for him to say! when the hell is your father molesting you 'statutory rape,' which implies that you consented but were too young to do it legally? WTF?

i'm so sorry something like that was said to you. =\
3rd-Jun-2006 03:28 am (UTC)
Well, as to my meds, the doctor gave me samples, not an actual paper prescription. (I'm not in the world's greatest financial position right now, so this was a good thing for him to do.) I actually do have to see him or find another doctor, or else go off my medication.

It was a fucked-up thing to say, and to me, it trivializes the experience of people who are too afraid to fight their attackers. Apparently he was trying to find out how violent my father was with me and phrased his question extremely poorly.

Thanks for the support, though.
3rd-Jun-2006 05:03 pm (UTC)
I'm glad that your counselor called him on it - here's hoping this next appointment goes better, and that he apologizes for what he said!
4th-Jun-2006 07:12 am (UTC)
I forgot to call his office on Friday, so it's going to have to wait until Monday. *crosses fingers*

Thanks for the support.
This page was loaded Nov 19th 2019, 3:27 pm GMT.