?

No account? Create an account
_Survivors_
A safe space to share stories and ask questions
This is more of a question to people out there that might know… 
15th-Apr-2006 11:54 am
hah
This is more of a question to people out there that might know anything about this. I heard that there is no law about letting a community know about a pedophile that is released into it in Canada. Is this true?
There is one that was released into our small community. (about 500 people) On his record apparently it is stated he is at a high risk to reoffend. were he lives, actaully the next house down from were I am currently babysiting three children, there are alot of children. Luckily our community is a prison community, (Well there's a pen here and a lot of guards live here. The guy also went to prison here.) so a lot of people do know what he has done.
My cousin's wife sadly does not believe he has done these things though and apparently lets him around her two young daughters. (one is 5 years old the other is maybe one with downs.) This scares me greatly. I personally know someone that was rapped as a child and the thought that it could happen to my litle second cousins scare me.

Sorry I just need to rant about this a little. Any advice or anything would be great.

Thanks.
Comments 
15th-Apr-2006 09:42 am (UTC) - 12:23.....Quebec/Canada
::HUGS::...Understand your anger...unfortunately, in most of our provinces, this IS the very 'stupid' law...but there is a way for you
to get verification...you are allowed to go to your local police and
ask for a list of offenders in your area, they have to give it to you!
Their are people working to change this law, which the polititions and
law-inforcers say is in place because "other-wise the 'offenders' would
not be able to live anywhere"....well, 'boohoo' for them...put them on
an isolated island, surrounded by sharks, they can molest each other
and let our children sleep in peace!....diane
18th-Apr-2006 03:58 am (UTC) - Re: 12:23.....Quebec/Canada
People know he did it becuase several of the guards that work there either live in the community or are close friends with peole in the community.
I'm glad to here they have to give you that information though if you ask the police.
And on a note about them not being able to live anywhere. He was chased out of a neighbering community. I wish we could do that. (don't mean to seem really harsh.)
15th-Apr-2006 03:02 pm (UTC)
tell the cops that she's endangering her child and ask them to have a word with her. Sounds harsh, but I'd do it.

Or speak to your cousin.

She's a stupid woman - how can anyone be that idiotic? Ask her how will her children forgive her WHEN he touches them. Cause he will - he can't/won't help it.
15th-Apr-2006 03:13 pm (UTC)
She's a stupid woman - how can anyone be that idiotic?

sometimes, a person is as idiotic as her society makes her.

people are taught to specifically not believe rape accusations.

that said, she's still endangering her child.
15th-Apr-2006 03:24 pm (UTC)
Naw - I don't buy that. This isn't a societal thing. Not believing rape allegations is one thing (and obviously it's not ok) and I can believe that is a societal thing. Not being worried about a guy who's served time for interfering with children is just plain odd - especially if it's a stranger (I am assuming he is/was). Most women would kill to protect their children. Someone who wouldn't is odd/stupid/evil/deranged.

Not getting at you - I am just incredulous.

Really - no offense meant.

18th-Apr-2006 04:11 am (UTC)
He told her that he was set up and she believes him. I was also told my cousin's opinion is her opinion when I asked what he thought of it.

Would the police actually do anything? i honestly thought of doing that but if she doesn't already believe that he did anythign what would they really do?
18th-Apr-2006 05:56 am (UTC)
if the police believed that he was a danger to children then they would tell you that they wouldn't do anything (cause they wouldn't be allowed to talk to you about him) but they'd probably have a word with the paedophile "unofficially" that they were watching him. It depends I guess, what's your state/country like. Are you all meant to know he's a paedophile or what?
Cause if it's an openly disclosed piece of info then your cousin's wife could get into trouble, I think.
15th-Apr-2006 03:19 pm (UTC)
See how much you can legally find out about the rapist released in your community, put it on a leaflet, and staple them/pass them out.

don't talk about harassing him or anything, just something along the lines of 'So and so living at this such street and number had been accused of (whatever specifics of the crime you can legally obtain). He is at high-risk to reoffend, and all people would be highly advised to not let their children alone with him.' and whatever else you feel is appropriate to add.

it might wake up some people and whatnot.
18th-Apr-2006 04:15 am (UTC)
Oh i think alot of people know where he lives. or at least those who talk to the prison guards and such. i know I do.

I was thinking about putting out leaflet type things, i told that to my sister and she said it was stupid/harassment.
16th-Apr-2006 02:32 pm (UTC)
its a ***** law i cant think of a word crappy enough, im not sure about what the law is in england but its probably just as bad someone really needs to speak to your cousins wife i dont know what shes like but its very strange i cant comprehend letting a pedophile near my children whatever the circumstances (im not a mother im 15 but still)xxx
18th-Apr-2006 04:15 am (UTC)
WEll she belives his story about him being set up and such.
16th-Apr-2006 02:50 pm (UTC) - I don't blame you for ranting...
That's horrifying that your cousin's wife is so naive and turning such a deliberately blind eye to what this man has done. I have no doubts he will go after your cousins.

Around here we post pictures, descriptions, residential address and crime(s) committed of sexual predators. I've seen them posted in the doorway of the local gas station, and also on the bulletin board of a local bookstore. Unfortunately, it's only the recently convicted whose picture gets posted, not the older cases, though we have those in the area too of course. Then you figure in the ones who haven't been caught. Blaugh.

I'm sorry, but I have no respect for the sort of stupidity your cousin's wife is displaying. I'm inclined to believe that she must not care about her children very much. If it were me I would be far more concerned about the welfare of my children than anyone's feelings, even if the person accused did eventually turn out to be innocent. Protecting one's children takes top priority. Too bad your cousin's wife doesn't feel the same way.

It's crap like this that is the reason for why I believe in such a strong punishment for pedophiles. The rescidivism rate is just way too high.
18th-Apr-2006 04:22 am (UTC) - Re: I don't blame you for ranting...
I wish there was somethign like that here, but where I live is so small. The prison basically doubles our population to 1000. :P
I actaully have seen on the news this young man from nova scotia who trvelled to maine and killed two sex offenders, then killed himself. Apparently the had looked up 30+ names. I wonder what is up with that story.

She cares about her childern alot I beleive, but just in really weird ways, and she's being completly stupid about this. I totally agree though she should be protective of her children even if evetuanlly it is found out he didn't do it. (Which I highly doubt will ever be found out.)
16th-Apr-2006 10:10 pm (UTC)
I'm with secret_x_stars - ask your local police department what you are able to know about him - they won't tell you anything that can't be made public and just *tell everyone you can* what they tell you. Post it on telephone polls, take out an ad in the newspaper, send out letters to your neighbors, talk to kids and families in the neighborhood, anything you can.

I'm a firm believer in "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". You can't stop everyone (like your cousin's wife... GAH!) from letting their children near them, but having people know to keep a good eye on him will both help their children to stay safe and help *him* to know that he can't easily prey on the children in the neighborhood.

Sometimes stopping a predator can be as simple as taking away easy prey.

As for your cousin's children? If the mother won't warn them, *you* warn them. Make sure they know about who is okay to touch them and who isn't... it'll help make sure they know the best things to do in such situations, and make it possible for them to open up to you should, heaven forbid, anything happen to them.
18th-Apr-2006 04:26 am (UTC)
They're so young, one is only maybe one now, and she won't understand. If I was aroudn them at all I would honestly think about that. (I'm not extrememly close with that side of my family since my father moved away sadly.) I'm praying, as sad as this sounds, that she doesn't leave them alone with him at least.
This page was loaded Sep 16th 2019, 4:44 pm GMT.