tie_my_wrists (tie_my_wrists) wrote in _survivors_,
tie_my_wrists
tie_my_wrists
_survivors_

New anti-rape campaign in the UK.....

Hi everyone. It's been a while since I have posted here, and I do feel a little guilty for having sapped all of the support when I was in need of it, and then not 'really' having been around to offer it to those of you who needed it, so I would like to apologise. But I am back now...

When I first read this article, I was absolutely exsatic that something of this size was going to take place in the UK, in my neck of the woods. I thought it was about time that measures are about to be put in place for our safety, but on reflection, my view has actually changed a little.

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/homeaffairs/story/0,,1726063,00.html

I think that this may actually heighten some of the problems. Righly so, it is being put forward with all good intentions, but personally, I don't think that they have gone about it the right way. I think that they our government is starting to treat adults as children, and that we are moving closer and closer to the dreaded nanny state.

Let me explain, I may be mad, so feedback would be appreciated........Ok, something needs to be done about rape allegations making it to court, but do grown adults seriously need to have written consent before doing what adults do? Doesn't that take the passion out of the moments when we genuinely want to sleep with someone? Maybe the same thing was discussed when condoms were first intoduced, but I was too young then.

This may cause a little anger among the community, as all of us here, me included, have experienced the trauma of an attack. We can't deny though, that there are some women out there who cry wolf out of revenge, vendictiveness or other motives. Would I be wrong in saying that this, while putting a fair majority of the true attackers in jail, also put a few innocent men in there with them?

I have to say that the idea of a jury making a decision that a woman was to drunk to give consent is an excellent one, this will defintely help.

Am I thinking too deeply?
Tags: activism/advocacy, articles, awareness
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

Error

Comments allowed for members only

Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

default userpic

Your reply will be screened

Your IP address will be recorded 

• 9 comments