Bethan (bethanthepurple) wrote in _survivors_,
Bethan
bethanthepurple
_survivors_

Hi everyone. I realise that most of what I've been doing here recently is posting links to other things rather than using this community for support. If people want me to stop posting stuff, please say, but I keep stumbling across things that I feel I have to share so you guys end up with them!

This is a link to an article written in someone's blog about perceptions of consent, which is a huge issue for me...

The continuum of rape and sex

...Women need to able to define what constitutes rape, and they don't need bruises or a broken hymen to know what rape is. Many women step up to the plate every day and say that they felt like they were raped, but they know they weren’t raped. This is a horrifying state for a woman to be in, she knows that society will blame her for the experience and laugh at her if she says that the man who “nagged” her into it really raped her. So she squashes it, she turns inward and begins to hate herself, she feels like every decision she makes is a bad one and that she can't be trusted to even make a decision about sex...

This is written by a self-proclaimed radical feminist so it may not be to everyone's taste, but I found it really helpful.
Tags: articles, invalidation, victim-blaming
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

Error

Comments allowed for members only

Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

default userpic

Your reply will be screened

Your IP address will be recorded 

• 11 comments