?

No account? Create an account
_Survivors_
A safe space to share stories and ask questions
Has anyone here ever called a hotline? Is there one you personally… 
9th-Jul-2005 06:52 pm
Has anyone here ever called a hotline? Is there one you personally had a good experiance with?

The prospect of calling really scares me. I've only called one in my life and that was when I was very suicidal... the woman was just like "o-kay" and put me on hold, even though it was a hotline specifically for suicidal people. Now I'm afraid they're all like that and I'm going to wind up feeling worse.

Also, if you could tell me what to expect, that would be great...
Comments 
9th-Jul-2005 08:00 pm (UTC)
You know what.. I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago. I called, actually looking for help, or.. something and they did what they did to you.

They put me on hold.

Plus they gave me someone who didn't even understand me (They hardly spoke english). All that call did was make me feel worse and even more fustrated.

I wish I could help you and give you a GOOD number to call, but I don't know of one.

10th-Jul-2005 01:30 pm (UTC)
I'm sorry you had to deal with that. It seems like the people at the bank are more friendly and understanding - and they're there to make money, not to help someone who's at the end of hir rope.

What number was that, so I can see if I can avoid that one?
17th-Jul-2005 08:34 pm (UTC)
I'm sorry it's taken me a while to get back to you. (real life getting in the way. Bleh)

Anyway.. you asked for that number--

It was the suicide prevention hotline--

1-800-SUICIDE (784-2433)
17th-Jul-2005 08:43 pm (UTC)
real life, what's that? j/k

Hmm.. I think that might be the same one I called. I'm not sure, since it was 4 or so years ago, but it seems likely...
9th-Jul-2005 09:38 pm (UTC)
1-800-656-hope.

ive never personally called it, ive been too afraid. but my old friend, when she was really suicidal, 2wice, she called it. and she said it helped her a lot.

i wish you the best of luck.

<3
10th-Jul-2005 01:35 pm (UTC)
Thanks! I'll see if I can muster up the courage to call it next time I freak out.
10th-Jul-2005 05:16 pm (UTC)
no problem dear, good luck to you.

try hard, remember to keep your head up and look at positive things. i hope that you will call them next time you are having a really rough time.

<3
9th-Jul-2005 11:07 pm (UTC)
I am so sorry your experiences with crisis lines were not good, but if you guys call RAINN @ 1-800-656-HOPE you will be immeadeatly patched thru to your closest Sexual Assault Crisis Hotline and anyone who answers there should be more than qualified to help you.

I wish I could tell you that all people on crisis lines are skilled but unfortunatelyt they are not so all I can ever suggest is to keep calling until you get the help you need.

Your sister in the movement,

Jen
10th-Jul-2005 01:34 pm (UTC)
Thanks. I know the best thing to do is just to keep calling - but if I'm in bad enough shape that I need to call, that's really hard to do.
10th-Jul-2005 10:55 am (UTC)
I've never called one, but I almost volunteered for one in my town. (Ended up being unable to do it because of the training schedule conflicting with my school schedule.) Anyways, I think that local hotlines are a good way to go a lot of the times because the people are local so you know they will speak your language and it's usually volunteer, so the people are there because they care. That's just my experience from going through the research and such and from the friends I have known who have called or volunteered at a call center.
10th-Jul-2005 01:36 pm (UTC)
That's a good point.. local ones tend to scare me more, though, because I'm afraid someone I know will pick up or that it'll otherwise come back to haunt me. Then again, I think they do have to keep confidentiality..
10th-Jul-2005 01:38 pm (UTC)
Yes, they do have to keep confidentiality. You also don't have to give them your name if you aren't comfortable. And my thought process is that you would probably know if anyone you were close with volunteered/worked at such a place.
10th-Jul-2005 01:41 pm (UTC)
The mother of an ex-friend of mine is a Victim's Advocate. I think at the local rape/sexual assault hotline, those are the people who answer the phone. It would be really awkward if she were to answer... but I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world, as she's a really nice, supportive person overall.
12th-Jul-2005 08:45 am (UTC)
hey im new to this community
i dont know bout thos hot lines but i deffinately wanted to call one the other day...
i haven't dealt with my rape in over 4 years. i just stuffed it down inside and blaimed myself and took it out on everyone around me. i became withdrawn and angry.. now i know that i'm not the only one.
12th-Jul-2005 07:09 pm (UTC)
I called a hotline once at my local sexual assault center in my town. It was so helpful, I ended up calling back a few more times. The people were well-trained and had good advice. One lady even told me to go out and do something fun for a night, just so I could get my mind off of things for awhile.

I'd say that calling a hotline is an excellent thing to do.
21st-Jul-2005 10:38 am (UTC)
i feel like i am always going "out for a night of fun to get my mind off of things.. " lol like a perpetual dream that i hope to wake up from eventually...

an ani difranco song reminded me of something...
"Wish I May"

i'm losing my love of adventure
i'm losing all respect
for me and myself tonight
i wonder what happens if i get to
the end of this tunnel
and there isn't a light
ive worn down the treads
on all of my tires
i've worn through the elbows
and the knees of my clothing
and i'm stumbling down
the gravel driveway of desire
trying not to wake up
my sleepy self-loathing

do you ever have that dream
when you open your mouth
and you try to scream
but you can't make a sound
that's everyday starting now
that's everyday starting now

dont tell me it's gonna be alright
you can't sell me on your optimism tonight
it's a stiff competition
to see who can stay up later
the stars or the street lights
and all they really want
is to be alone with the darkness
no more wish i may
no more wish i might

it takes a stiff upper lip
just to hold up my face
i gotta suck it up and savor
the taste of my own behavior
i am spinning with longing
faster then a roulette wheel
this is not who i meant to be
this is not how i meant to feel

i don't think i am strong enough
to do this much longer
god, i wish i was stronger
this song could never be long enough
to express every longing
god, i wish it was longer...
This page was loaded Nov 17th 2019, 2:19 am GMT.