?

No account? Create an account
_Survivors_
A safe space to share stories and ask questions
For those of you who watch the show House M.D., I want to warn you… 
7th-Apr-2009 11:13 am
Phoenix Rising
For those of you who watch the show House M.D., I want to warn you about this week's episode.

It contains the sudden and unexpected suicide of a main character, and it pulls no punches in how it is presented. It was monumentally triggering, and graphic when this person's friends/coworkers find the body. Monumentally triggering, and I want to warn you. Triggering for suicide, the reactions thereto, death, grief, loss, mourning, blood... you name it. I don't want to say who it is in case you haven't seen the show, but I wanted to give you a heads-up so you're not blindsided by it, either.

My goodness, is it triggering. Add to that the storyline of the patients this week, and it put me under my own little storm cloud for the rest of the evening. Watch carefully, with support if possible.
Comments 
7th-Apr-2009 04:41 pm (UTC)
*safe hugs* Yeah, I had a hard time with it, and cried most of the way through. Then made the boy come upstairs and cuddle with me and watch a movie.

Hope you're feeling better now. ♥
7th-Apr-2009 06:19 pm (UTC)
Doing much better this morning, fortunately.
7th-Apr-2009 06:05 pm (UTC)
I haven't seen it yet (we're a couple weeks behind here) so thanks for the warning. I love that show but I'll tape it just in case so I can watch whenever I feel strong enough for it.

Sorry it was so triggering for you! I hope you're feeling better.
7th-Apr-2009 06:20 pm (UTC)
Doing better this morning, fortunately. I think if there had been *some* warning, it wouldn't have hit be off-guard, but then it also wouldn't have been as effective in its message either: that sometimes, people don't tell others they're suicidal, and people need to talk to each other more.
8th-Apr-2009 05:23 pm (UTC)
Thank you for the warning. I'm glad I didn't watch it when it was new. I wasn't in any shape to have that kind of triggering.
8th-Apr-2009 07:26 pm (UTC)
You're welcome. It was just so rough that I figured I should put up the warning. I'm not used to being triggered to that level from television
8th-Apr-2009 10:06 pm (UTC)
I didn't see the warning and watched it before bed last night, since it usually makes me happy (because the show is so great). Instead... :( I wouldn't say it triggered me exactly, but it reminded me again of how "easy" an option like that is... and how irreversible,too, thankfully.
I wish they'd thought of a better way to have his character leave the show.

Thanks for posting this warning, I'll definitely check here in the future. Does anyone have a "triggering" tv/movie list, btw?
9th-Apr-2009 01:10 am (UTC)
Most of the triggering tv/movies lists we've had linked on our userinfo page keep disappearing off the internet.

The best one still available is this: http://www.screenit.com/all_titles.html

it's just for movies, and aimed at parents who want to know if there's violence, drugs, etc. in movies - but it breaks each movie down into exactly what you want to know - what type of violence (gun-based, martial arts-based, sexual violence), if it's graphic, etc. It's pretty good, though it only covers movies rather than tv. But it's a good site, nonetheless
This page was loaded Nov 15th 2019, 9:46 pm GMT.