. (pinklittlepills) wrote in _survivors_,
pinklittlepills
_survivors_

I'm volunteering as a CASA (court-appointed special advocate) to help abused/neglected kids and write reports about what is going on for the courts, and I have to pick which case to take on. I can't talk about it here, so I won't. I just am having a hard time deciding which one. Some of the cases involve sexual abuse, and I don't know if I could handle that without it bothering me, for my first case. I also want to be able to help the parents if at all possible get in a better situation in their lives even if they don't get their kids back in the end, so I don't want to pick a case when I might have trouble putting my own feelings aside. I think it will be a challenge enough just learning the ropes. I didn't grow up in foster care, so it's hard for me to imagine what it would be like for a child. Does anyone have any suggestions or experiences with this? I'm pretty shy, so I know it will take me a couple months to get used to talking with the people involved. I would appreciate any input at all, especially if you had to deal with DHS/CPS in your life when you were young or grew up in foster care. I'm not part of CPS, but a separate volunteer, but I imagine I will be treated about the same.
Tags: abuse: child, abuse: csa, child protective services
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

Error

Comments allowed for members only

Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

default userpic

Your reply will be screened

Your IP address will be recorded 

• 4 comments