?

No account? Create an account
_Survivors_
A safe space to share stories and ask questions
I was wondering... Whenever you're feeling really down and defeated,… 
7th-Jan-2009 01:21 pm
caryl kiss
I was wondering... Whenever you're feeling really down and defeated, what do you do/use to draw strength?

I'm feeling much, much better at the moment, but in the near future I might need to find other sources to help me through some hard times coming up.
Comments 
7th-Jan-2009 06:39 pm (UTC)
icanhascheezburger.com, or the splodefromcute lj community works wonders. especially cos on technique i developed for when i feel yucky is to remind myself that i have a choice between feeling yuck and acting upon that feeling, or thinking about puppies (or anything else that's nice and feels good).

listening to specific music helps a lot. so does tackling something i've been putting off, anything from paying bills to knitting to checking voicemails. speaking of knitting, having at least one hobby or activity that's grounding and just for you. exercise works for lots of people; personally i have pain and fatigue issues so this is harder to gravitate towards, though i'm sure just doing a few pushups to release tension can make a difference, no need to be an olympian.

basically, being gentle and selfish in a good way, at least for a moment or two until the bad stuff eases
8th-Jan-2009 03:57 am (UTC)
I do yoga or meditate. There is also a book called daily meditations for women survivors that I love and reading the meditation of the day from that book helps me sometimes.
Another thing that helps me is going out for a walk and being around nature.
8th-Jan-2009 04:02 am (UTC)
i've found a lot of solace in taking care of myself/relaxing, for example, taking a nap, reading in bed with a big mug of tea, taking a shower or any hygienic activities. they rejuvenate me.
8th-Jan-2009 04:58 am (UTC)
i also do relaxing, nice-for-myself things, that really helps for me.
stuff like taking walks, getting outside, seeing cats, calling a friend on the phone, listening to nice music, watching predictable tv shows, my many stuffed animals, eating good food, taking a shower, reading something entertaining.
8th-Jan-2009 05:29 am (UTC)
Imagery is the most powerful for me - so I'll carry something that has a picture or symbol of a bear on it... calling up that inner Momma Bear.

inspiring music, meditative breaths, and thinking about a strong and tall oak tree also are quick things I can do to call up strength.

When all else fails, I pretend, for the briefest moment, that I'm someone I KNOW is strong. I can feel that little piece of their strength and draw my own strength up as they do.
This page was loaded Nov 20th 2019, 2:23 pm GMT.