?

No account? Create an account
_Survivors_
A safe space to share stories and ask questions
Borderline Personality Disorder.... Do you see a correlation between… 
9th-Oct-2008 02:16 pm
Borderline Personality Disorder....

Do you see a correlation between that and child abuse? Has anyone been diagnosed with it? Is anyone in treatment for it?
Comments 
9th-Oct-2008 06:31 pm (UTC)
There is a correlation between BPD and child abuse. *hugs*
9th-Oct-2008 06:49 pm (UTC)
::HUGS:: thank you Sierra. I'm sorry I haven't been there for you lately... :(
10th-Oct-2008 07:08 am (UTC)
I don't have BPD, but I know Dialectical Behavioral Therapy is useful for managing it. I hope that helps.
9th-Oct-2008 06:38 pm (UTC)
yes. i've been diagnosed with it, and i'm in treatment for it as well.
9th-Oct-2008 06:49 pm (UTC)
Do you find it helpful? Are you doing just therapy, meds, etc.? If I'm asking too many personal questions please let me know.
9th-Oct-2008 06:57 pm (UTC)
i've used efexor and oxazepam in the past, but i didn't find the medication helpful (especially considering the side effects), so i quit using medication altogether.

i started going to dialectic behavioral therapy a few months ago, and that's definitely something i'd recommend because it's helped me a lot. if you want to know more, check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialectical_behavioral_therapy .

if you've got any more questions, i'd be glad to help!
10th-Oct-2008 12:49 am (UTC)
And! i have borderline traits (though managed to skip the actual 'disorder') and i found Cognitive Analitic Therapy (CAT - and no i don't mean 'behavioural') really helpful in identifying patterns and responses etc..
9th-Oct-2008 07:30 pm (UTC)
I have it. In therapy for that and the abuse and bipolar and whatever else is wrong with me.
9th-Oct-2008 08:08 pm (UTC)
I don't think the diagnosis exists and is a "disorder" created to oppress people with ptsd who display angry behaviors.
9th-Oct-2008 08:23 pm (UTC)
I was just going to comment to the OP and say that I have been diagnosed with PTSD but I have read that a LOT of people with BPD have had some type of abuse in their past.

I have also heard that there are a lot of similarities between PTSD and BPD but I'm not sure if angry behaviors is how I would word the distinction since I've read about both inward and outward manifestations of BPD. I think there's huge differences like just the level of any displayed emotions and behaviors and the different fears and relationship problems, etc.. but I mainly was reading about it because some people suggested my grandmother might have it and a lot of the things she does and says don't make sense, especially like when we're having a conversation and she says I hate and want her to die just because I won't do whatever she wants.
9th-Oct-2008 11:34 pm (UTC)
I think that the disorder exists, but I do think that many people with PTSD are misdiagnosed with it (myself included) because they self-harm or have eating disorders (or dissociate, sometimes). I believe that discussions are taking place to include "Complex PTSD" (PTSD with cutting/purging/dissociaton) in the next DSM as a separate disorder, to try and draw a distinct line between the two.

I think the main difference between the two, at least my understanding of it, is that BPD doesn't have the focus on flashbacks/nightmares/fixation on a trauamatic event that PTSD does, and that BPD can arise in people without a trauma history.
9th-Oct-2008 11:41 pm (UTC)
Er, to clarify my "Myself included" thing, by the way - I was misdiagnosed with BPD and treated for it for a while, until I got to my current therapist, who "Pffft"ed the diagnosis away given my lack of BPD-type emotional behaviours/my traumatic symptoms.

Which raises another good point - it wasn't until I quit DBT and got exposure therapy that my symptoms started to ease, and imagine it would have been a similar situation for me if I needed DBT but got exposure. A failure to draw a distinct line between the two disorders kind of hampers the efficiacy of attempted treatment, which is another reason clarification would be a great idea.

Sorry to ramble - I just find the whole "BPD or PTSD?!" thing to be really, really fascinating. :)
9th-Oct-2008 08:24 pm (UTC)
I think there are correlations sometimes.
Don't make a rule out of it. I know a lot of survivor treatment center and groups automatically treat people for borderline personality and that, too me is just ludicrous.
9th-Oct-2008 11:45 pm (UTC)
There's a major correlation - but, as I noted above, sometimes you can get BPD with no abuse history at all. And not everyone with an abuse history has BPD.

Sadly, I doubt this is your case. :( If you have any questions, feel free to message/comment me - I've done a lot of research on the disorder. I think that it's portrayed as an overly negative thing, when it isn't - people with BPD just have really strong needs, and when it comes to meeting those needs people get all mean and nervous. :\

So, I guess...don't believe all the bad press. ::Big, safe hugs::
10th-Oct-2008 02:51 am (UTC)
One of the things that I was doing right before I wound up in the hospital (and a contributing factor) was researching mental disabilities for part of my masters degree practicum. I did encounter studies which showed a statistically significant link between child abuse (of all types) and both PTSD and BPD (among other things). This does not mean that everyone who is abused will suffer from one or both of the diseases, but there is a correlation and a strong link to causality.
10th-Oct-2008 03:23 am (UTC)
I have been diagnosed with both PTSD and BPD. They do use diifferent criteria for diagnosis, but careful diagnosis will be able to distinguish between the two.

My treatment for BPT (which I think is going to be re-named soon, perhaps to cognitive dissonance disorder or somesuch) involved an out patient treatment with Cognitive Behavorial Therapy. CBT is at the moment the most used treatment for this disorder, although I don't think there are any really good studies that explore the sucess rate of CBT. BPD is a hard disorder to treat, and there is a lot of study going on to try to find proven effective treatments.

I am also taking various drugs, but with MDD, PTSD, and BPD, my particular coctail might not work for you.

That having been said... *Safe Hugs*. I wish you the best of luck.
10th-Oct-2008 04:46 am (UTC)
Yes/no. A lot of people with PTSD have been misdiagnosed as BPD (though moreso in past decades than currently).

But, even when the diagnoses are correct, there seems to be a correlation.
This page was loaded Nov 14th 2019, 4:16 pm GMT.