?

No account? Create an account
_Survivors_
A safe space to share stories and ask questions
Hello, everybody.:) I just came from Julianne Moore's new movie,… 
5th-Oct-2008 12:14 am
Brennan: simple to confound the wise
Hello, everybody.:) I just came from Julianne Moore's new movie, Blindness and wanted to warn you before you set foot in that theater.

I was not happy to find myself battling a panic attack surrounded by my friends at the movie tonight, but maybe I can help prevent one for some of you.

Basically, a group of men are hoarding food and demand that in order for anyone else (men, women, and children)to be "rewarded" food, a sufficient number of women must offer themselves up to be raped. A really painful scene occurs where the women in the room have to make the decision to be raped in order to save the rest of the people. Nine women volunteer and then they are taken back to a dark room where the men viciously rape them. It's extremely painful to watch, but the background sounds of grunting and screaming are probably the worst part about it. It's pretty graphic, and at one point Julianne Moore's character is ordered to give fellatio and the scene shows her tearfully acquiesce. A scene quickly after that shows a horrified woman being raped and ordered to move. When she refuses, we watch while the man beats her to death.

I think overall, the rape scene only lasted 15-20 minutes, but every moment of it was excruciating to watch. I immediately left the theater when the woman was killed, and my friends reported to me that the scenario changed soon after I left.

Hopefully this is okay for me to post. If not, mods, please let me know and I will promptly hit that delete key. :)
Comments 
5th-Oct-2008 05:47 am (UTC)
Thank you for the warning.
I was considering going to see this, but it sounds like a DVD when you're in a good place movie.
I'm sorry you were triggered and I hope you're feeling better.
5th-Oct-2008 06:34 am (UTC)
Thanks, I'm feeling much better. :) And it is a good movie, except for that unsettling bit. <3
5th-Oct-2008 06:08 am (UTC)
Thanks for the heads up, I appreciate it. I know it really doesn't occur to most people that some need to be warned, but I get frustrated sometimes having to play damage control after a movie I totally wasn't ready for. Tonight I saw Delores Claiborne and was pretty proud of myself for holding it together minus a minor silent cry-fest. I kept thinking I was going to have to turn it off and take a breather but I managed to get through it. I'm just happy it was at home in the DVD with a good friend so when I fell apart I didn't have to worry about judgment. :)

I'm interested in seeing Blindness, but I'll wait 'til I can pop it in the DVD at a good time. How are you doing since leaving the theatre?
5th-Oct-2008 06:34 am (UTC)
I'm - decent - thanks for asking, really. I was in full blown panic mode about two hours ago and I'm working my way through the calming process. Arguing cordially over at VP is actually helping me keep my mind focused. It's hard to be suddenly violently triggered without an outlet, you know?

Thank you so so much for asking. I really can't express to you how much your concern means to me at this moment.
5th-Oct-2008 08:02 am (UTC) - WOW, i was just about the post the same thing.
OH MY GOD, I JUUUUST got back from seeing it and I fucking broke down in public and gah it was horrible.

That movie was RIDICULOUS and i am sooo enraged! they spent so much time documenting every moment of that scene and so little at when Julianne Moore got revenge from that fucker - they didnt even show her past the part of her hand in the air... I got so damn mad at that. They're using rape now to futher the "sensationalism" these stupid movies are conveying that they aren't even spending enough time on murder scenes anymore. its so damn disgusting.

& im not just saying that as a survivor, even my male friends thought they spent a little too much time on that rape scene. and by a little i mean a lot.

sorry for the run on sentences, im still shaky.

god and then when they were talking about a man's dignity being hurt by their girlfriends/wives/whatever not offering themselves to those men? wow, okay. sorry its so hard to be a man who doesn't have to give up his body to save anyone, lets all mourn for the men & really think deeply and ponder their sacrifice in their dignity to let these women choose whether or not they want to sleep with a man in order to live.

a big WTF.
5th-Oct-2008 08:45 am (UTC) - Re: WOW, i was just about the post the same thing.
THIS.

I was so mad I was shaking. And the part when the asian man told his wife she couldn't go because it was disgusting and nothing was worse - and then the tense emotions of the movie and the setting make you feel like she should offer herself up because his point of view was wrong? What?

I agree with you wholeheartedly that the scene was too long. I felt so much relief when it was over, and then I felt my heart leap up into my throat when they called for the next round of women and then the entire scene leading up to the murder. I felt like it was overkill (okay, a lot of things in the movie were) and I was nauseous for the rest of the movie.

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience, how strange we both encountered the same thing on the same night? Imagine how many other women walked in there unsuspecting? There should be a warning label.
5th-Oct-2008 09:32 am (UTC) - Re: WOW, i was just about the post the same thing.
A lot of things were long in the movie, but the fact of the matter is, there was nothing RIGHT or accurate about the movie. And it's not only striken a nerve for feminists & survivors, but people who are also visually impaired. The whole movie was just offensive. period.

& I just read the interview with the director who laughed during the shoot of the rape scene? I'm definitely writing an article about this. His interview reeks of assumed male control over women and the pleasure he gets in exploiting us.

source
5th-Oct-2008 08:15 am (UTC)
Thank you so much for the warning.. my friends and i go to see movies sometimes, and there's a few of us that wouldn't cope well with that scene... Who is the director? and WTF is WRONG with that person?
5th-Oct-2008 12:11 pm (UTC)
Thanks for the heads up.
I was thinking about going and seeing it, but won't now, which is probably a good thing for my current state of mind.
Thanks again.
5th-Oct-2008 01:23 pm (UTC) - Out of line
This movie is being billed as a thriller, sort of suspense/conspiracy thing. Normally, I like a thriller, wondering what's up, what's really going on, etc. So since this isn't being billed as political drama, and is being pushed as a taut bourne-esque suspense, WTF is rape being used in an entertainment movie?

Rape has no place in entertainment. Political speech, deep thought provoking dramas highlighting injustice, sure those kind of message movies can (and sometimes should) include that sort of content. A thriller that takes 1/6th of total runtime to brutalize women is just dispicable.

6th-Oct-2008 05:40 am (UTC) - Re: Out of line
i agree. it's definitely not entertainment and really doesn't belong in a lot of movies.
5th-Oct-2008 03:45 pm (UTC)
Thank you so much for the warning. I went to see Dogville (which has a few graphic rape scenes) not knowing what it was like, and it was really hard for me. So I'll know to avoid this one, at least with friends.
6th-Oct-2008 05:36 am (UTC)
thank you so much for considering us and letting us know! it seems like every time i watch a movie, it has something about rape or sexual assault. i should make a list of movies that might not be okay to watch if you're not in a safe place.
7th-Oct-2008 03:57 am (UTC)
Wow. I'm SO glad to have the warning! I wouldn't have expected a scene that gruesome out of that movie.

It's definitely okay to post!
This page was loaded Nov 15th 2019, 3:22 pm GMT.