?

No account? Create an account
_Survivors_
A safe space to share stories and ask questions
SVU 
15th-Aug-2007 07:40 pm
O.~ -Sadie
I have a post to make, not a relatively negative one. Even though I'm sure nothing would be wrong with that. This place is such a wonderful sanctuary for help and comfort. But i have a question. And it may sound incredibly silly. But still.

How many people watch Law and Order SVU and find it (besides wonderfully entertaining) to be a type of therapy for them? Fiction or not, when they find those abusers, and those rapists and those pedophiles, and give them justice. Do you not get such a powerful sense of satisfactory after watching it? I just love that show! I notice alot of survivors watch it.

If this needs a cut for triggers, please let me know :)
Comments 
16th-Aug-2007 12:46 am (UTC)
I personally LOVE the show. I suppose it is a sort of therapy, since it usually makes me feel better at the end. It's rare for me to be angry at the end, but that's usually when the perp gets to go free (like the Michael Jackson spoof.)
16th-Aug-2007 03:48 am (UTC)
i remember that episode, and it made me pretty mad at the end...he was so creepy >:O
16th-Aug-2007 12:51 am (UTC)
I avoid the show for that reason. Maybe I'm just not there yet.
16th-Aug-2007 12:56 am (UTC)
I don't think it's necessarily a matter of "being there yet", but everyone is different. Don't think that just because you can't watch the TV show that it's "bad". There are some non-survivors that refuse to watch the show! :-)

16th-Aug-2007 12:55 am (UTC)
It depends on my mood if I watch it or not. Some of the episodes have been triggering for me, some have been empowering :-)

I read a book series where the main character is a survivor and it has been very healing for me.
16th-Aug-2007 06:56 pm (UTC)
ooo, which book is this? id love to know :)
16th-Aug-2007 01:40 am (UTC)
For some reason, the show has never been triggering for me. I think what I love about it is seeing people who really care going out there to catch bad guys and save innocents, and stopping the bad guys from hurting anyone else. Olivia and Elliot are both really caring people in their own way, and that is what I really love about the show.
16th-Aug-2007 06:58 pm (UTC)
Olivia is such a very comforting character. i know that if i had to talk to a detective and had a choice as to whom, it would be someone like her :)
16th-Aug-2007 03:03 am (UTC)
*raises hand* sometimes it ends up being a really bad idea, like if I find something particularly triggering, but it's a bit of a compulsion with me. I *have* to watch it.
16th-Aug-2007 07:03 pm (UTC)
me too. i mean sometimes if im already in a bad state of mind, i just cant. but even sometimes when it really hits home, i still need to see what happens. to get that sense of relief yanno?
16th-Aug-2007 03:15 am (UTC)
i avoid watching the show.
16th-Aug-2007 07:02 pm (UTC)
sometimes if its a really touchy episode, i cant watch it. it depends with me. some people, its just extremely triggering for them. which is fine, i just hope you dont feel bad that you cant watch it
(Deleted comment)
(Deleted comment)
16th-Aug-2007 03:47 am (UTC)
i LOVE that show. it's never really been that triggering for me, unless i watch it with another person for some reason that i havent figured out quite yet (like, i cant watch it even with my fiance). i also watch Law & Order CI as well.

i'm actually watching SVU right now. :)
16th-Aug-2007 07:01 pm (UTC)
right after i made this post it was on, the one about the crazy religious man. the show throws me for a loop sometimes!
16th-Aug-2007 07:10 am (UTC)
I love SVU, and agree with finding it a form of therapy for me. I've noticed, too, that during a streak of reality based nightmares, if I'm watching SVU just before sleep -- I *don't* have the nightmares. If I watch something else (NCIS, Friends, anything really) instead, then I have them. It's very weird.

Part of it, for me, I think, is the reactions that the male officers (Elliott, Ice T whose character name I can't think of) have. It's like.. it's like a reminder that there are some guys out there who want to protect children, who care about the people who've been hurt by this stuff.
16th-Aug-2007 06:59 pm (UTC)
exactly! they are very comforting, and kind to the victims they encounter. and try to do their best to find them justice. it gives a sense of comfort with knowing not alot of detectives are exactly that understanding in rape situations. mine didnt seem to be, it was just business to him i think :/
17th-Aug-2007 03:40 am (UTC)
I used to watch it all the time, sometimes two or three episodes a day if I could find reruns on, and it felt very satisfying although three or four episodes were triggering for me. After a while, though, I realized that it wasn't healthy for me to watch anymore, so I've avoided it since then.
17th-Aug-2007 11:49 am (UTC)
I love, love, LOVE the show. :) The drama in newer episodes has been slightly cheesy, but it's still good. Like someone else said, it's good seeing people (not just men) who really understand the horrors of abuse and want to stop it. It's very comforting.

That said, it can also be really triggering. Even if something in the show didn't happen to me, I can still freak out a bit by just knowing that there's that kind of evil out in the world. I just don't watch it before bed anymore.
17th-Aug-2007 11:54 am (UTC)
Oh, and I might add - is it just me, or is the guy on CSI Miami really comforting, too? (I know, I know, he's kind of a joke, but when he's dealing with traumatized children it comes across are really genuine and soothing for some reason.)
17th-Aug-2007 08:47 pm (UTC)
I love when Stabler "goes too far" and gets medieval on them...
18th-Aug-2007 12:57 am (UTC)
I love Law and Order SVU...I try to watch it every day. There have only been a few episodes that have triggered me...It makes me think that sometimes they really do catch the bad guys.
This page was loaded Nov 19th 2019, 6:43 pm GMT.