Okay, after watching SOTD for the hundredth time the other night, I picked up on a few things that I'd noticed before throughout the movie, but hadn't really taken the time to focus on. Namely, the evidence necessary for more than one fanon SOTD ship.
As far as most people are concerned, SOTD has only one main pairing: Shaun and Liz. The other canon ship is David and Dianne, whose relationship doesn't get half the screentime that S and L's does, but it's obviously there, nonetheless. However, I've gone through the film minute by minute, scene by scene, and I reckon that we can add a few fanon pairings to the list.
I refer to them as Shianne (Shaun/Dianne) and Led (Liz/Ed).
Moments that made me acknowledge these pairings are:
1. The look on Di's face the second time Shaun presses the intercom button. She decides to let him in.
2. The fight at Liz's after Shaun forgets to book the restaurant. Dianne moves to stand behind Shaun when he's being yelled at by Liz, who is backed up by David. When Shaun does his 'get f***ed four-eyes!' routine, she doesn't defend David, and deliberately looks away from him after Shaun's comment about Daffs loving Liz.
3. When Shaun returns to take Liz, David and Di to the Winchester, Dianne is the first to support him. David, Liz and Shaun himself seem surprised by this.
4. When David is talking about blocking up the window after Shaun leaves to distract the zombies, Dianne is the one who asks how he will be able to get back in if they do so.
5. Dianne looks totally delighted when she hits John in the head with a dart and Shaun approves.
6. During Barbara's final scene, Dianne sits beside Shaun and sides with him over David on the matter of killing Barbara before she becomes a zombie. She also agrees with him when he claims that David loves Liz.
7. In the first shootout, Di stays particularly close to Shaun, and is shown clutching his shirt sleeve tightly in one shot.
8. When Shaun lists the people he couldn't save down in the cellar, Di's name is mentioned first (potential coincidence, but what the heck.)
1. During the first scene in the pub, Liz assures Shaun and Ed that her problem with having him around all the time is not due to a dislike for Ed - "Ed, it's not that I don't like you."
2. In Ed's "Sup n****s?" scene where he pulls up in the Jag, Liz looks like she's trying to suppress a smile.
3. In the pub, when Liz requests that Ed get her a double vodka, he does so without hesitation. (Though that could be due to the fact that Kate is scary when she's mad.)
4. Ed asks Liz for the quid to play the pinball machine, rather than David or Dianne. They share a smile as Liz hands the money over.
5. In Barbara's last scene, you can quite clearly see Ed's hand on Liz's shoulder. In one frame after David cocks the rifle, Liz's hand is seen dropping back to her lap. I asked my little sis about this - she thinks Liz was holding Ed's hand; a little supprotive gesture they might've shared.
6. When the zombies come through the front door as well as the side entrance and Ed suggests using cocktails, Liz supports him without question. Ed hands over the rifle to her, rather than passing it over to Shaun.
7. Liz stares at Ed almost through the whole sequence behind the bar as if she can't believe he's still alive.
8. When Shaun is blaming himself for everything that went wrong down in the cellar, Liz hesitates before leaving Ed to sit with him.
9. Liz's voice breaks slightly when she tells Ed she loves him as she goes up in the lift with Shaun. Ed smiles as he replies with his casual "Cheers!" comment in return.
10. In the Plot Holes section of my DVD, there is a part in which Ed explains how he became a zombie and got to Shaun's garden shed. His final few sentences are:
"He tempted me back to his house under cover of night, using himself as bait, and locked me in the shed where I've been existing for six months, while Shaun puts me through a rigourous training program. I no longer get the urge to eat him, although...I wouldn't mind giving Liz a nibble...hehehe."
So, I reckon there's potential for fanon ships in SOTD. I would love to read any comments you guys have - whether you've got a secret fanon SOTD ship, think I'm on the right track or think I've maybe had a bit too much to drink and am reading too much into the film, let me know. I'm sure there are others out there like me, though.
P.S I have a suspicion that most of the subtle affectionate moments between Liz and Ed are more due to Nick maybe having a slight attraction to Kate than the characters themselves. In the EPK featurette on the DVD, he quotes "There's comedy, and if you don't like that then there's the living dead, and if you don't like that there's Kate Ashfield, HELLO?"
Or maybe he just thought she was cute. Who knows?