March 26th, 2005

grint

mod//community info

there is something up with the community info:

"Error: Irreparable invalid markup ('
[Error: Irreparable invalid markup ('<a [...] [...]>') in entry. Owner must fix manually. Raw contents below.]

there is something up with the community info:

"Error: Irreparable invalid markup ('<a [...] http://www.livejournal.com/ users/unknownxsoldier/>') in entry. Owner must fix manually. Raw contents below."

might wanna fix it, thanks
  • Current Music
    that 70s show
giraffe

stamped//grammar issues

I'm going to go over some basic grammar really quickly, simply because in this community we use your/you're, there/their/they're, and then/than often, as well as some other things, plus I've been having some issues with the grammar here.

Your - 2nd person possessive. In lamen's terms: you use this word when you want to say/ask if the person you're speaking to directly owns something, or ownership I.E. - "Is that your hat?", "We'll go in your car."
You're - contraction for you are. You use this word when you want to say/ask if the person you are speaking directly to is something. I.E. - "You're very pretty." "You're the real Rick James?"

Than - comparitive. You use this word when you want to compare something to something else, or ask a comparitive question. Can also be used after more/less, as a comparitive. I.E. - "I have more Alkaline Trio music than Brand New." "Do you like chocolate better than vanilla?"
Then - referring to time, and basically anything noncomparitive. You use this word just about anytime that you're not supposed to use the comparitive. I.E. "Well, then, let's go." "Then you're going home?" "It was then that he left."

I haven't seen many problems with this, but to prevent it from happening, I'll go over it too.
Their - 3rd person posessive. Use this word when you're wanting to say/ask if someone/something own something, or show ownership. "The party is at their house." "Where's their CD?"
They're - contraction of they and are. Use this when you want to say/ask if someone/something is something. "They're fun to be around." "They're coming with us then?"
There - referring to location, and anything not covered by their or they're. You use this when you want to give/ask for a general vacinity of something. I.E. - "The guitar I want is over there." "Are there any new CDs?"

Also, a [note the space] lot. A lot is two words.
Are is used when talking about more than one, is for when there is only one.
U, ur, r and the like are probably [note the spelling on that, not how it's said] not even words in other languages, so let's not use them in english either.
Apostraphes are for showing ownership.

Thank you very much.

P.S. - Just so you all know, I'm doing this for you more than me. If you understand the language you sound twice as intelligent. :)

P.P.S. - I'm not trying to be bitchy, either.
  • Current Music
    Brand New - The Quiet Things...