Amelia (sochinbi) wrote in _scientists_,
Amelia
sochinbi
_scientists_

What do you wish you would have known before you went to graduate school?

I'm heading out to several universities in the next two months for visitation/recruitment weekends for chemistry PhD programs (analytical).  As I've already been accepted into the programs, these are not interviews but, as I understand it, times for me to ask as many questions as possible and get to know the people with whom I might be spending the next 5-9 years of my life.  

I have a whole battery of questions I plan on asking, mostly the requisite, obvious ones that anybody in my position would ask.  I realize that there are probably a whole host of questions that I won't think to ask because I do have the experience of actually being in graduate school.

So, for those who are in or have been to graduate school in chemistry, or in general, is there anything you wish you would have asked about that would have made a big difference in your decision/expections for graduate school?

Also, because these questions might vary by institution and department, does anyone who is currently or has been in the chemistry (especially, analytical) PhD programs at Univ of AZ, Univ of Ill Urbana, Univ of Wisc Madison, Univ of NC Chapel Hill, Purdue Univ., or Univ of WA have anything in particular that they wish they would have known prior to enrolling?

Thanks!

Subscribe

• Post a new comment

Error

Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

default userpic
  • 24 comments
Previous
← Ctrl ← Alt
Next
Ctrl → Alt →
Previous