No account? Create an account

[icon] We are for the Rights and Welfare of *all* Animals
View:Recent Entries.
View:Archive.
View:Friends.
View:Profile.

Security:
Time:02:57 am

*If this is off-topic feel free to delete. But this is important for anyone interested in animals to know about.

H.R. 4239, the Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act (AETA), is a bill that could make it a crime punishable by imprisonment to cause any business classified as an "animal enterprise" to suffer a loss of profit—even if the company's financial decline is the result of legal activities, such as peaceful protests, consumer boycotts or media campaigns. The term “animal enterprise” would include manufacturers, distributors and sellers of animals or animal products, research facilities, pet stores, breeders, zoos, rodeos, circuses, and animal shelters and the like.

While the ASPCA strongly opposes acts of violence, including vandalism, property damage and trespass, this bill threatens to criminalize as “terrorism” otherwise lawful, constitutionally protected acts often utilized by citizens and organizations to effect change. Lawful and peaceful protests that, for example, urge a consumer boycott of a company that does not use humane procedures, could be the target of this provision if the activity resulted in economic damage to the company.

The bill would also make it illegal to expose cruel conditions at facilities such as puppy mills and research labs, if exposure of such conditions—even if done lawfully—would result in economic damage to the animal enterprise. There is no exemption in the bill to exclude “economic damage” that results from the disclosure of information about a company’s treatment of animals, which is disclosed through public information.

The AETA has already been passed in the Senate, and a vote in the House is expected very soon. It is critical that you contact your representative immediately to show your opposition to H.R. 4239 and urge him or her to protect our First Amendment rights to freedom of speech by opposing H.R. 4239.
Take Action Now! 

Also go to http://www.stopaeta.org/ for more information and talking points.

-----------------------------

Never have our freedoms been so threaten. Read what they are trying to do: makes protesting illegal. That's right, take away our first amendments right. This isn't about animals, this is about terrorism, this isn't about eating meat. This is about every American's right to oppose ideas and institutions. This is about our right to disagree with our government, what our country was founded on. This is about animal abusers trying to take that right away from us because they are worried about loosing money. Loosing money, because we make a choice not to buy their product, and not to support their business, and to voice our opinion about this. Do not let them take your ability to voice your opinion away.

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable”
-John F. Kennedy

comments: Leave a comment Previous Entry Share Next Entry

tino_bambino
Link:(Link)
Time:2006-10-05 11:49 am (UTC)
This is definitely getting ridiculous. I have to wonder, if one were to go to court over this, how would it be proven that the peaceful protest actually lowered profits for the company? There are so many factors to consider, I think it would be almost impossible to prove that one person's protest caused the company financial losses. It seems more like an empty threat, but still, it's a pretty terrible thing to do.

What the government REALLY needs to worry about is the level of poverty, control of firearms, proper funding in schools, etc. These things are what should be addressed by those in power and it never seems to be done. I always feel like they make laws like the one you posted of in order to avoid the real issues at hand such as poverty.

I'm glad I live in Canada though. =P
(Reply) (Thread)

mistressmelissa
Link:(Link)
Time:2006-10-06 02:32 am (UTC)
You might be interested in an interview I pasted into my personal journal, where one man is going to jail for posting information about an animal abuser online and attending a rally:
http://mistressmelissa.livejournal.com/197851.html?mode=reply
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)

[icon] We are for the Rights and Welfare of *all* Animals
View:Recent Entries.
View:Archive.
View:Friends.
View:Profile.