Ciarrai (ciarrai) wrote in _quotes_,
Ciarrai
ciarrai
_quotes_

I am new here but I come bearing A LOT of quotes.

I've had a collection of cool or interesting quotes for some time now, and I just couldn't decide which ones to post now and which to save for later so I am just going to throw them all up. Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of.
-- Douglas Adams, Arthur Dent in "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist, it's another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standard of nonconformity.
-- Bill Vaughan

I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them.
-- Isaac Asimov

I'm worried that the universe will soon need replacing. It's not holding a charge.
-- Edward Chilton

The price one pays for pursuing any profession or calling is an intimate knowledge of its ugly side.
-- James Baldwin

My work is a game, a very serious game.
-- M. C. Escher

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.
-- A. A. Milne

Knowledge comes, but wisdom lingers.
-- Alfred Lord Tennyson

What we become depends on what we read after all of the professors have finished with us. The greatest university of all is a collection of books.
-- Thomas Carlyle

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.
-- Walter Bagehot

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't the fine line between sanity and madness gotten finer?
-- George Price

We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are.
-- Anais Nin

Anyone can do any amount of work provided it isn't the work he is supposed to be doing at the moment.
-- Robert Benchley

What luck for rulers that men do not think.
-- Adolf Hitler

Success didn't spoil me, I've always been insufferable.
-- Fran Lebowitz

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe.
-- Carl Sagan

All great truths begin as blasphemies.
-- George Bernard Shaw, Annajanska (1919)

I'm thirty years old, but I read at the thirty-four-year-old level.
-- Dana Carvey

Ahhh. A man with a sharp wit. Someone ought to take it away from him before he cuts himself.
-- Peter da Silva

Organized crime in America takes in over forty billion dollars a year and spends very little on office supplies.
-- Woody Allen

Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff.
-- Frank Zappa

Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.
-- Sir Winston Churchill

All programmers are playwrights and all computers are lousy actors.
-- Unknown

What if this weren't a hypothetical question?
-- Unknown

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.
-- Dandemis

I can't understand it. I can't even understand the people who can understand it.
-- Queen Juliana, of the Netherlands

It is a good morning exercise for a research scientist to discard a pet hypothesis every day before breakfast. It keeps him young.
-- Konrad Lorenz

When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.'
-- Theodore Roosevelt

It is only possible to live happily ever after on a day-to-day basis.
-- Margaret Bonnano

Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.
-- Thomas A. Edison

Never offend people with style when you can offend them with substance.
-- Sam Brown, Washington Post, 1977

Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information on it.
-- Samuel Johnson, quoted in Boswell's Life of Johnson

If God lived on earth, people would break his windows.
-- Jewish Proverb

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people.
-- Orson Welles

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
-- Martin Luther King Jr.

Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese.
-- G. K. Chesterton

By the time a man realizes that maybe his father was right, he usually has a son who thinks he's wrong.
-- Charles Wadsworth

"When you have to make a choice and don't make it, that is in itself a choice."
- William James

"Belief like any other moving body follows the path of least resistance."
- Samuel Butler

"Never bear more than one trouble at a time. Some people bear three kinds - all they have had, all they have now, and all they expect to have."
- Edward Everett Hale

"You think your pains and heartbreaks are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read. It was books that taught me that the things that tormented me were the very things that connected me with all the people who were alive, or who have ever been alive."
- James Baldwin

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep."
- Scott Adams

"I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me."
- Isaac Newton

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear."
- Thomas Jefferson

"Every man supposes himself not to be fully understood or appreciated."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

The skill of writing is to create a context in which other people can think."
- Edwin Schlossberg

"When Alexander the Great visited Diogenes and asked whether he could do anything for the famed teacher, Diogenes replied: 'Only stand out of my light.' Perhaps some day we shall know how to heighten creativity. Until then, one of the best things we can do for creative men and women is to stand out of their light."
- John W. Gardner

"It is the customary fate of new truths to begin as heresies and to end as superstitions."
- Thomas Henry Huxley

I like living. I have sometimes been wildly, despairingly, acutely miserable, racked with sorrow, but through it all I still know quite certainly that just to be alive is a grand thing."
- Agatha Christie

"Drama is life with the dull bits cut out."
- Alfred Hitchcock

"What you can do, or dream you can do, begin it; boldness has genius, power and magic in it."
- Johann von Goethe

"You cannot make yourself feel something you do not feel, but you can make yourself do right in spite of your feelings."
- Pearl S. Buck

"It is a good thing to be rich, it is a good thing to be strong, but it is a better thing to be beloved of many friends."
- Euripedes

The happy people are those who are producing something; the bored people are those who are consuming much and producing nothing."
- William Ralph Inge

"Facts which at first seem improbable will, even on scant explanation, drop the cloak which has hidden them and stand forth in naked and simple beauty."
- Galileo

"The great composer does not set to work because he is inspired, but becomes inspired because he is working. Beethoven, Wagner, Bach, and Mozart settled down day after day to the job in hand. They didn't waste time waiting for inspiration."
- Ernest Newman</lj-quotes>
Subscribe

• Doctor Zhivago

I just read this in an article on Doctor Zhivago and really had nowhere else to share it but thought it was rather nice... "He isn't daring or…

• 75 Torchwood Season 1 Quote Icons

Preview: ( I believe estate agents pronounce it 'Sploe' )

• (no subject)

"You don't like messy. You don't like feeling bad. So as soon as you could, you just moved on and abandoned me" Pushing Daisies.

• Post a new comment

Error

default userpic
    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 1 comment