Moneycar (moneycar) wrote in _quotes_,
Moneycar
moneycar
_quotes_

• Music:

A big one!

I haven't posted in forever, so here are a whole bunch of quotes I've recently found that I like. :-)

My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I'm happy. I can't figure it out. What am I doing right?
Charles M. Schulz

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
Oscar Wilde

Life is tough, and if you have the ability to laugh at it you have the ability to enjoy it.
Salma Hayek

Romance is dead. It was acquired in a hostile takeover by Hallmark and Disney, homogenized, and sold off piece by piece.
Matt Groening

To be brave is to love someone unconditionally, without expecting anything in return. To just give. That takes courage, because we don't want to fall on our faces or leave ourselves open to hurt.
Madonna

Numbing the pain for a while will make it worse when you finally feel it.
J. K. Rowling

It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.
J. K. Rowling

Love is everything it's cracked up to be…It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for.
Erica Jong

People always call it luck when you've acted more sensibly than they have.
Anne Tyler

You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.
Robin Williams

When you travel, remember that a foreign country is not designed to make you comfortable. It is designed to make its own people comfortable.
Clifton Fadiman

Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life trying to save.
Will Rogers

Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.
H. G. Wells

Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death.
Harold Wilson

He had heard people speak contemptuously of money: he wondered if they had ever tried to do without it.
W. Somerset Maugham

The easiest way for your children to learn about money is for you not to have any.
Katharine Whitehorn

But then there's a moment like tonight, a profound and transcendent experience, the feeling as if a door has opened, and it's all because of that instrument, that incredible, magical instrument.
Diane Frolov and Andrew Schneider

I think people that have a brother or sister don't realize how lucky they are. Sure, they fight a lot, but to know that there's always somebody there, somebody that's family.
Trey Parker and Matt Stone

They say that blood is thicker than water. Maybe that's why we battle our own with more energy and gusto than we would ever expend on strangers.
David Assael,

If you hate a person, you hate something in him that is part of yourself. What isn't part of ourselves doesn't disturb us.
Hermann Hesse

Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't.
Erica Jong

Go through your phone book, call people and ask them to drive you to the airport. The ones who will drive you are your true friends. The rest aren't bad people; they're just acquaintances.
Jay Leno

Never explain--your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway.
Elbert Hubbard

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone.
Bill Cosby

In the end, you'll know which people really love you. They're the ones who see you for who you are and, no matter what, always find a way to be at your side.
Randy K. Milholland

The only sure thing about luck is that it will change.
Bret Harte

The big corporations are suddenly taking notice of the web, and their reactions have been slow. Even the computer industry failed to see the importance of the Internet, but that's not saying much. Let's face it, the computer industry failed to see that the century would end.
Douglas Adams

Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws.
Douglas Adams

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
Douglas Adams

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
Douglas Adams

You haven’t achieved equality until you’re a legitimate target for humor.
Scott Adams

What is most beautiful in virile men is something feminine; what is most beautiful in feminine women is something masculine.
Susan Sontag

It is not giving children more that spoils them; it is giving them more to avoid confrontation.
John Gray

Facing a mirror you see merely your own countenance; facing your child you finally understand how everyone else has seen you.
Daniel Raeburn

The Chinese use two brush strokes to write the word 'crisis.' One brush stroke stands for danger; the other for opportunity. In a crisis, be aware of the danger - but recognize the opportunity.
John F. Kennedy

You don't have to suffer to be a poet; adolescence is enough suffering for anyone.
John Ciardi

Good communication is as stimulating as black coffee and just as hard to sleep after.
Anne Morrow Lindbergh

A man travels the world over in search of what he needs and returns home to find it.
George Moore

There are only two ways of telling the complete truth--anonymously and posthumously.
Thomas Sowell

The truth is rarely pure and never simple.
Oscar Wilde

Chase after truth like hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat-tails.
Clarence Darrow

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer

If you can't sleep, then get up and do something instead of lying there and worrying. It's the worry that gets you, not the loss of sleep.
Dale Carnegie

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.
Dorothy Parker

A truly great book should be read in youth, again in maturity and once more in old age, as a fine building should be seen by morning light, at noon and by moonlight.
Robertson Davies

Never judge a book by its movie.
J. W. Eagan

There is no mistaking a real book when one meets it. It is like falling in love.
Christopher Morley

I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage.
Charles De Secondat

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked.
Lord Chesterfield

Liberals are very broadminded: they are always willing to give careful consideration to both sides of the same side.
Anonymous

The history of our race, and each individual's experience, are sown thick with evidence that a truth is not hard to kill and that a lie told well is immortal.
Mark Twain

A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.
Mark Twain

It is always the best policy to speak the truth--unless, of course, you are an exceptionally good liar.
Jerome K. Jerome

Life isn't fair. It's just fairer than death, that's all.
William Goldman

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill

It's not true that life is one damn thing after another; it is one damn thing over and over.
Edna St. Vincent Millay

Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.
Brendan Gill

The first step to getting the things you want out of life is this: Decide what you want.
Ben Stein

Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work: You don't give up.
Anne Lamott

A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal.
Oscar Wilde

A person has three choices in life. You can swim against the tide and get exhausted, or you can tread water and let the tide sweep you away, or you can swim with the tide, and let it take you where it wants you to go.
Diane Frolov and Andrew Schneider

The best way to escape from a problem is to solve it.
Alan Saporta

Never make a defense or an apology until you are accused.
King Charles I

What you do speaks so loud that I cannot hear what you say.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Expect trouble as an inevitable part of life, and when it comes, hold your head high, look it squarely in the eye and say, 'I will be bigger than you. You cannot defeat me.'
Ann Landers

The right word may be effective, but no word was ever as effective as a rightly timed pause.
Mark Twain

I believe that uncertainty is really my spirit's way of whispering, "I'm in flux. I can't decide for you. Something is off-balance here."
Oprah Winfrey

We are none of us infallible--not even the youngest of us.
W. H. Thompson

Nothing can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own.
Sidney J. Harris

Youth cannot know how age thinks and feels. But old men are guilty if they forget what it was to be young.
J. K. Rowling

The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.
Friedrich Nietzsche

He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.
Sir Winston Churchill

The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.
Elizabeth Taylor

It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.
Abraham Lincoln

We have been taught to believe that negative equals realistic and positive equals unrealistic.
Susan Jeffers

If you can solve your problem, then what is the need of worrying? If you cannot solve it, then what is the use of worrying?
Shantideva

Worries go down better with soup than without.
Jewish Proverb

I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
Thomas Jefferson

Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration.
Thomas A. Edison

Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all.
Sam Ewing

Never continue in a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. And if you have that, along with physical health, you will have had more success than you could possibly have imagined.
Johnny Carson

Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else.
James M. Barrie

People forget how fast you did a job - but they remember how well you did it.
Howard Newton

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.
Henry J. Kaiser

Measure not the work until the day's out and the labor done.
Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Get happiness out of your work or you may never know what happiness is.
Elbert Hubbard

But seduction isn’t making someone do what they don’t want to do. Seduction is enticing someone into doing what they secretly want to do already.
Waiter Rant

Mortal lovers must not try to remain at the first step; for lasting passion is the dream of a harlot and from it we wake in despair.
C. S. Lewis

No animal should ever jump up on the dining-room furniture unless absolutely certain that he can hold his own in the conversation.
Fran Lebowitz

Among those whom I like or admire, I can find no common denominator, but among those whom I love, I can: all of them make me laugh.
W. H. Auden

You cannot be mad at somebody who makes you laugh - it's as simple as that.
Jay Leno

Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can.
Elsa Maxwell

If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
Edgar Watson Howe

Laughter gives us distance. It allows us to step back from an event, deal with it and then move on.
Bob Newhart

Drinking makes such fools of people, and people are such fools to begin with, that it's compounding a felony.
Robert Benchley

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
Ernest Hemingway

I respect faith, but doubt is what gets you an education.
Wilson Mizner

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.
Voltaire

To have doubted one's own first principles is the mark of a civilized man.
Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
Roger Caras
Tags: quotes
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

Error

default userpic
    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 2 comments