February 18th, 2004

Celtic - Claddaugh Ring
  • ciarrai

Some of my favorite quotes

"If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven played music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well."
-- Martin Luther King, Jr.

"And the wind said: May you be as strong as the oak, yet flexible as the birch; may you stand as tall as the redwood, live gracefully as the willow; and may you always bear fruit all your days on this earth."
-- Native American Prayer

"No matter how happily a woman may be married, it always pleases her to discover that there is a really nice man who wishes she were not."
-- Mary Catherine Bateson

"The greatest thing in family life is to take a hint when a hint is intended-and not to take a hint when a hint isn't intended."
-- Robert Lee Frost

Everyman's life is a fairy tale written by God's fingers."
-- Hans Christian Anderson

"Touch the earth, love the earth, honor the earth, her plains, her valleys, her hills, and her seas; rest your spirit in her solitary places."
-- Ernest Dimnet

Three grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for."
-- Joseph Addison

"A woman knows the face of the man she loves like a sailor knows the open sea."
-- Honoré de Balzac

"When women love us, they forgive us everything, even our crimes; when they do not love us, they give us credit for nothing, not even our virtues."
-- Honoré de Balzac

"In science as in love, too much concentration on technique can often lead to impotence."
-- P.L. Berger

"Patience with others is Love, Patience with self is Hope, Patience with God is Faith."
-- Adel Bestavros

"I love quotations because it is a joy to find thoughts one might have, beautifully expressed with much authority by someone recognized wiser than oneself."
-- Marlene Dietrich

"The love of learning, the sequestered nooks, And all the sweet serenity of books."
-- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

"There's no money in poetry, but then there's no poetry in money either."
- Robert Graves

"A child's hand in yours -- what tenderness and power it arouses. You are instantly the very touchstone of wisdom and strength."
- Marjorie Holmes

"A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul."
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Love and respect woman. Look to her not only for comfort, but for strength and inspiration and the doubling of your intellectual and moral powers. Blot out from your mind any idea of superiority; you have none."
-- Giuseppe Mazzini

"A man's women folk, whatever their outward show of respect for his merit and authority, always regard him secretly as an ass, and with something akin to pity. His most gaudy sayings and doings seldom deceive them; they see the actual man within, and know him for a shallow and pathetic fellow. In this fact, perhaps, lies one of the best proofs of feminine intelligence, or, as the common phrase makes it, feminine intuition."
-- Henry Louis Mencken

"There are two ways of being creative. One can sing and dance. Or one can create an environment in which singers and dancers flourish."
-- Warren G. Bennis

"It is as impossible for man to demonstrate the existence of God as it would be for even Sherlock Holmes to demonstrate the existence of Arthur Conan Doyle."
-- (Carl) Frederick Buechner

"A musician must make music, an artist must paint, a poet must write if he is to be ultimately at peace with himself. What one can be, one must be."
-- Abraham Maslow

"When I get a little money, I buy books. And if there is any left over, I buy food."
-- Deciderius Erasmus

"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve (or save) the world and a desire to enjoy (or savor) the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
- E. B. White

"Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."
-- Barbara Tuchman

"Any activity becomes creative when the doer cares about doing it right, or better."
-- John Hoyer Updike

"For prayer is nothing else than being on terms of friendship with God."
-- Saint Teresa of Avila

"My friends are my estate. Forgive me then the avarice to hoard them!"
-- Emily Elizabeth Dickinson

Every man's work, whether it be literature or music or pictures or architecture or anything else, is always a portrait of himself.
~ Samuel Butler

Friendship is born at the moment when one person says to another, 'What?! You too! Thought I was the only one. Clive Staples Lewis

"Self-esteem is the reputation we acquire with ourselves."
- Nathaniel Branden

Nobody can be exactly like me. Sometimes even I have trouble doing it.
-- Tallulah Bankhead