I'm doing a research project on coming out for my HSC Community and Family Studies course. I have created a survey with a few questions about coming out, for both people who are out and those who aren't. So if you could just copy it into a comment and, say, delete all the other options (leaving your answer) and write your responses, that would be a great help.
All anwsers are annonymus.
1. What gender are you?
2. How do you define yourself?
o I don’t use labels
o Other __________________
3. Are you ‘out’ to friends?
4. Are you ‘out’ to family?
If you answered ‘yes’ for either one or both of the questions above, go to Q5.
If you answered ‘no’ to both of the questions above, go to Q14.
5. At what age did you come out?
6. Looking back, do you think this was a good age to do it?
7. Who did you come out to first and why? (family/friends)
8. How did they react? Were they understanding, shocked, disbelieving, cruel?
9. If it wasn’t immediate, how long did it take for them to come around? Have they still not come around?
10. What were your reasons for coming out?
11. Do people treat you differently since you came out? If yes, how so?
12. Did you ever get treated badly once people knew? Did you have to deal with any type of homophobia?
13. Do you ever regret your decision?
Thank you for taking the time to complete this survey. If you have any questions or comments, or if there is something you would like to add, feel free to put it at the bottom of the survey, or message me through my LJ account.
14. Can you give your age (or approx. age)?
15. Why have you chosen not to come out? Does the risk of discrimination and homophobia have much weighting in your decision?
16. Do you think people will treat you differently after you come out? If yes, how so?
17. Do you think that you may ever come out to family/friends?
18. If yes, what are your reasons for waiting?
19. If no, can you explain why?
Thank you for taking the time to complete this survey. If you have any questions or comments or if there is something you would like to add, feel free to put it at the bottom of the survey, or message me through my LJ account.