Jeff (misterlouiie) wrote in _queer_teens_,
Jeff
misterlouiie
_queer_teens_

An AMAZING Opportunity!

Hey all!

To everyone who is going to be in New York City this summer and don't really have plans, come join Chinatown Youth Initiatives! It's a for-youth-by-youth program, meaning the participants are generally high schoolers, and the curriculum is led by high school seniors and college students. It's a really amazing program, learn more about it and consider joining!

Chinatown Youth Initiatives is a youth-led organization based in Manhattan's Chinatown.  Our motto is "Exploration. Education. Empowerment."  The goal of CYI is to get high school students across the city involved with community issues, specifically Chinatown and the Asian-American community.  Programs affiliated with CYI include: Chinatown Literacy Project, Chinatown Beautification Day, and Summer Leadership Institute.

Summer Leadership Institute is a weekly program starting from the end of June until August.  Participants meet for workshops every Saturday for the duration of the program.  These workshops are centered around social issues, ranging from the gentrification of Chinatown to gender and sex identity.  We expose our participants to aspects of Asian-American history that are not usually covered in academic curriculums and current events that are not widely publicized.  In doing so, we encourage our members to think critically of the social and political implications, and how they may have still have effects on present culture today.  We also encourage our participants to brainstorm how, as young students, they can tackle these issues and become effective members of the community.

It may seem as if it sounds like it's all work and no fun, but in fact, it's a great chance to meet new friends, get free food, and enjoy games. The summer goes by really fast, and before you know it, you won't want to leave!

If you or anyone else have any questions, please feel free to visit our website is www.cyinyc.org. For more information about the Summer Leadership Institute, visit http://cyinyc.org/news/?p=104. The application is already attached as a PDF or Word.

Looking forward to meeting you guys!
Subscribe

• (no subject)

I am a graduate student who is looking at the ways adolescent girls between the ages of 16 and 19 explore their identities online. The research would…

• Coming Out

Hey Everyone, I'm doing a research project on coming out for my HSC Community and Family Studies course. I have created a survey with a few…

• Committee to Unseat Anti-Gay NJ Senator Sean Kean

The Committee to Unseat Sean Kean campaign has begun against the New Jersey Republican Senator who voted against marriage equality. The Senator…

• Post a new comment

Error

default userpic

Your reply will be screened

Your IP address will be recorded 

When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 0 comments