Cosmic Spark (cosmic_spark) wrote in _psychmedfree_,
Cosmic Spark
cosmic_spark
_psychmedfree_

I'm psych med free

Hello everyone... It's been a long time since I came in here but I felt like I had something that might work for some of you. I have been off all prescription medication for a year and a half now. How did I do it? Nutrition and clean eating. I have been researching and studying all sorts of information about food, nutrients and how it affects our bodies along with how other things affect our bodies. We are constantly pummeled with pollutants in our water, air and food, plus we are expected to endure a lot more stress than ever before in how much we are expected to get done in a 24 hour period. I first started by cutting out all foods with high fructose corn syrup, which I don't care what the commercials say, it's poison. It's also in a LOT of cheap food. Don't eat it. Then I started reading labels and if I couldn't pronounce the ingredients or couldn't really identify it as an actual food, I didn't eat it. I stopped drinking any sodas and I eliminated artificial ingredients from my diet. I took out refined ingredients like white flour and white sugar. Over time I added organic foods to my list and I try to avoid any foods that may have been genetically engineered (GMO foods) or foods sprayed with toxic chemicals. I have had to rely on psych meds my entire life until I did this and I feel like a completely functionally normal person. I didn't even have that on meds. The past few months I have started having emotional issues and I was afraid I would have to go back on psych meds again but as more and more symptoms cropped up, and me doing yet more research, I have found that I perfectly fit the profile for perimenopause. Now I am learning about hormone imbalances. Diet also affects hormones and I truly believe I would be so much worse off if my eating wasn't as healthy as it is. I am researching bioidentical hormone replacement therapy and going to a place that is going to test all my food allergies, hormones, thyroid, vitamin D and a bunch of other things that affect weight, moods, stress, and body. I really feel like a lot of doctors are under-educated and jump the gun with psych meds when that should be a last resort. I'm not saying to go off your meds but I am saying to please make a real attempt to educate yourself and clean up your diets and have your allergies tested, cortisol, vitamin D, hormones... whatever you think might be contributing, and go to someone who is an expert in the field. Some doctors are also lazy when it comes to hormones and throw some birth control pills at you and call it good when that could actually make the problem worse. I can recommend a good book for perimenopause if you want to send me a private message or if you have any other questions or comments let me know and I will do my best to help.
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

Error

default userpic

Your IP address will be recorded 

When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 2 comments