that girl ☠ (imafuzzball) wrote in _prisonbreak,
that girl ☠
imafuzzball
_prisonbreak

From Ask Matt

Question: I've got to disagree with you on your recent assessment of Prison Break. Is PB ridiculous? Sure. Even idiotic at times? Sure. Every episode has at least one credulity-busting moment. Yet on the whole, it's a gloriously ridiculous story. Where I think that 24 suffers from some of the ridiculous plot twists because of its naturalistic style, PB is distinctly melodrama, even camp, and so it's able to gloss over ridiculous elements. At the same time, I can't help but express my growing loathing for T-Bag. While you may find his antics fascinating, I find them merely disgusting. His recent sojourn of kidnapping and psychologically torturing a family caused me to turn away whenever he came on the screen. He was a great Schillinger-lite villain in Season 1, and one had to admire his plucky survival instincts through much of Season 2, but once he got what he wanted, we were treated to an extended wallow in the disgusting life of a serial murderer and rapist. Like other PB fans, I share the concern over what they will do for Season 3. Yet I also had those concerns about Season 2, and I think they've handled the tradition brilliantly.— Jeff

Matt Roush: To each his own. Jeff's is a wonderful example of a long-honored critical tradition: damning with faint praise. I certainly got my share of hate mail this week (more than usual, anyway) for being so snarky about this silly show last week. I get Prison Break as a guilty pleasure, and I guess I should leave it at that. It's just that it once seemed to have a bit more potential. That may be the reason I champion T-Bag, not because I admire him (hardly!), but because he's the one element of the show that still seems original and daring to me. Everyone else is like pieces on a chessboard, being moved around (and occasionally offed) at the whim of writers who've lost a grasp on character and are content with shuffling the deck in new and wacky ways each week. (When all else fails: suicide.) Last week's episode, in which Team Scofield led the fake "Cooper Green" through hell and high water in their quest to find someone who'd listen to the mysterious tell-all tape, reminded me of a very bad episode of the mercifully vanished Vanished.

source

I agree with Matt on the T-Bag issue, he is an original character and I love watching his story unfold.
Tags: tv guide online
Subscribe

• From Ask Matt

Question: I have been a fan of Prison Break since it began. It was a show that had me on edge, especially last season. I think Wentworth Miller and…

• From Ask Matt

Question: I am amazed by all of the criticism of Prison Break. The same people who criticize it are people who watch 24, Desperate Housewives and…

• From Ask Matt

Question: My biggest fear concerning Prison Break is that it will start out its third and final season and end up getting the Reunion or Vanished…

• Post a new comment

Error

Comments allowed for members only

Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

default userpic

Your IP address will be recorded 

• 10 comments

• From Ask Matt

Question: I have been a fan of Prison Break since it began. It was a show that had me on edge, especially last season. I think Wentworth Miller and…

• From Ask Matt

Question: I am amazed by all of the criticism of Prison Break. The same people who criticize it are people who watch 24, Desperate Housewives and…

• From Ask Matt

Question: My biggest fear concerning Prison Break is that it will start out its third and final season and end up getting the Reunion or Vanished…