?

No account? Create an account
Escape is just the beginning.
Complaining to FOX 
3rd-Nov-2005 10:10 pm
DARK DEAN
Has anyone considered emailing FOX to let them know how unhappy we are about having to wait until May to see the rest of the season? They should know, shouldn't they?
I found on www.prisonbreak.fan-sites.org under information and then facts..the names of the press contacts for the show along with their email addresses.

Todd Adair
todd.adair@fox.com

Alexandra Gillespie
alexandra.gillespie@fox.com

I am going to email them. Would anyone else like to do the same?
What else can we do?
Comments 
4th-Nov-2005 05:15 am (UTC)
I'll email them too.
Cuz I feel they're being stupid trying to put off a show that is doing so well in the ratings til May.
4th-Nov-2005 05:38 am (UTC)
we should do a petion , like sign something ..?
4th-Nov-2005 05:58 am (UTC)
Those online petitions (for the love of g-d, I can't remember the website's name) always get a lot of signatures. I have no idea how influencial they are though. I think we should definately try. At least, then they will know the fannish-nature of their audience.
4th-Nov-2005 06:19 am (UTC)
I think that is a great idea! I've never done anything like this before so I wouldn't know where to begin.. I guess we should start by finding that webpage. Then create a petition..
4th-Nov-2005 04:11 pm (UTC)
problems with petitions, especially online petitions:

- Often petitions contain no information about whom they are ultimately intended for and instead are no more than outpourings of outrage.

- Even those that clearly identify the intended recipient don't come with a guarantee that the person slated to receive the document is in any position to influence matters.

- Even well-addressed, well-thought-out petitions have their problems, chief among them the lack of a guarantee that anyone is collecting and collating the signatures or will deliver the completed documents to the right parties.

- Those signatures aren't votes, and they aren't treated as such by the governing bodies that have to decide on the tough questions of our times. At best, they're seen as an indication of the public's will, no more.

- Difficult problems don't suddenly yield up simple solutions just because a great many fervently hope they would.

- E-petitions, however, have one further shortcoming inherent to them that entirely undercut any value the same documents might have had in paper-and-ink form.

Paper-and-ink petitions are signed in a variety of handwriting styles, each unique to its signer. Consequently, signatures on a paper-and-ink petition cannot easily be faked.

E-petitions, however, come with no such assurance — the same person could have generated all of the signatures. Moreover, it takes little by way of programming skills to create a sequence of code that will randomly generate fake names, e-mail addresses, and cities.

source
5th-Nov-2005 03:26 am (UTC)
I just have a few things to say in response to your post..

"Often petitions contain no information about whom they are ultimately intended for and instead are no more than outpourings of outrage."
-You haven't even seen the petition I've made..and I can tell you that it is not just an outpouring of outrage.

"Even well-addressed, well-thought-out petitions have their problems, chief among them the lack of a guarantee that anyone is collecting and collating the signatures or will deliver the completed documents to the right parties."
-I have always assumed that no matter who collects or collates the signatures.. it is our..or rather..my..responsibility to try to make sure that the petition gets to the right people. And of course, there is always a chance someone could make a mistake.

"Those signatures aren't votes, and they aren't treated as such by the governing bodies that have to decide on the tough questions of our times. At best, they're seen as an indication of the public's will, no more."
-I wouldn't expect them to treat them as "votes"..all I wanted was for the "governing bodies" to know what the public's will is. How else are they going to know unless we tell them?

"Difficult problems don't suddenly yield up simple solutions just because a great many fervently hope they would."
- I am trying not to feel insulted by this statement..

I know that online petitions could never be as powerful as hand written ones..I wouldn't expect them to be..for all the reasons you gave. But I also know that online petitions..email and handwritten letters kept the show ROSWELL on the air two years after the WB wanted to cancel it. And even if keeping PRISON BREAK on over the winter isn't possible or sensible..for whatever reason..no harm could come from letting the producers know how much we love this show. We want a second season and as many episodes as they can churn out..our emails don't have to beg them to continue the show over the winter..they could even just let them know how many supporters PRISON BREAK has..
5th-Nov-2005 03:30 am (UTC)
i didn't write what's in that post. i merely summarized it from the site that i put a link to at the bottom of the post where it says 'source'.
besides, even if it did work, prison break would be put on at a shitty time. it's either wednesdays up against Lost which is ratings suicide, or friday nights aka ratings graveyard. or unless one of FOX's show suddenly do bad and is cancelled but apparently, they're all doing well.
5th-Nov-2005 03:51 am (UTC)
I saw the link to your source.. I was just responding to what you posted.
(Deleted comment)
4th-Nov-2005 06:22 am (UTC)
I think this is an awesome idea! We would have to all agree on a good date and then spread the word..
(Deleted comment)
4th-Nov-2005 07:47 am (UTC)
That sounds good. I have also just finished creating an online petition we can all sign..when I have the URL I will post it here.
4th-Nov-2005 11:32 pm (UTC) - I agree
Anonymous
I've emailed fox twice now and hopefully they'll read my emails. I agree with you guys, sign me up for anything I will send emails by the hour if its necessary.
4th-Nov-2005 12:15 pm (UTC)
Thanks so much for those addresses!
:)
4th-Nov-2005 03:02 pm (UTC)
I've already emailed them.
4th-Nov-2005 04:05 pm (UTC)
After thinking about it, i'd rather Prison Break come back in May than being on earlier than now, or even worse, being put on wednesday nights up against lost which would be ratings suicide or EVEN worse, being put on friday nights which is a ratings graveyard. seeing as how those are the only options for PB if it does return earlier than may, no thanks. i'd rather wait.
5th-Nov-2005 09:24 pm (UTC) - this is the right attitude
they are trying to not do something that ruins a great show. folks keep saying 'cancel reunion, cancel Killer Instinct". but the network had faith enought to pick up the shows, if they are making the ratings required (which is different for every show even on the same network) then they won't be cancelled.

which leaves Wednesday against the troika of Lost, Veronica Mars and Criminal Minds. total death wish. tuesdays at 8pm in House's old slot is up against Commander in Chief, My name is Earl and the Amazing Race. again, a death wish.

yes it sucks that we might have to have 'summer' now. but if it means getting the show back in the slot that it has soared in, and during the summer when everything else is in repeats is it so bad. plus there are rumors that they might actually extend the season half of the season to 12 episodes instead of just 9. so it's not a bad tradeoff.

there is a campaign being put together to make sure that Fox and the show know that they have fans that will support them no matter what. details will be posted as soon as they are fully ready. it's a campaign based on a calm and polite response that addresses only support for the show and not bitching and anger over the possible break in a way that is visual and not deletable or disregardable as padded (as online petitions and vote sites can be)
5th-Nov-2005 09:27 pm (UTC) - Re: this is the right attitude
oh yeah. definite death wish for those times.
who's putting the campaign together?
6th-Nov-2005 03:33 am (UTC) - Re: this is the right attitude
yes it sucks that we might have to have 'summer' now. but if it means getting the show back in the slot that it has soared in, and during the summer when everything else is in repeats is it so bad. plus there are rumors that they might actually extend the season half of the season to 12 episodes instead of just 9. so it's not a bad tradeoff.

You're right.. that isn't a bad trade off.

I would never want the show to suffer.. so after thinking about everything all of you have said about the various time slots..I agree that it would be better to just wait until the summer.
But I also think it is a great idea to let Fox know how supportive the fans are..so I would love to be involved in that campaign..
This page was loaded Nov 12th 2019, 1:45 am GMT.