?

No account? Create an account
Escape is just the beginning.
Second episode ("Otis") review from IGN *spoilers* 
25th-Aug-2006 08:42 pm
LP: Ned blue

August 25, 2006 -

With the second episode of the second season, Prison Break continues to mix completely unbelievable and implausible situations with a few kinda cool moments. For those viewers that became frustrated at the end of last season (especially with the lackluster finale, "Flight"), the second season has proven just as frustrating. The series' saving grace has been the introduction of a new nemesis for Michael, in the form of FBI Agent Mahone, played by the excellent William Fichtner. Mahone is the perfect foil for Michael, as he figures out the fugitives' plans each step of the way. In "Manhunt" he figured out where Michael had hidden his civilian clothes and other supplies. In "Otis," Mahone correctly assumes that Lincoln won't want to leave town without L.J., who's going to court for sentencing, and places himself in the way of Michael and Lincoln's plan to rescue L.J.

Another highlight of this episode is that we find out what Tweener's been up to, which turns out to be a lot more realistic and clever than any of the other escapees. We meet up with Tweener at a bus station, where he's recently shaved his head and picks a guy's pocket to get his wallet. After getting a little nervous about being made as one of the fugitives, Tweener gets the idea of heading over to a local college campus, posing as a student, and checks out the ride share list for anyone heading to Utah.

In contrast to Tweener disguising himself as a college student, we have Michael and Lincoln, who look like badly dressed extras in a vintage episode of Miami Vice -- Lincoln's wearing a sport coat with a button-up shirt that's half un-buttoned, and Michael has a totally ridiculous combination of a Cubs baseball hat with a tan suit straight out of the '70s. They look about as conspicuous and out of place as they would have had they just left on their prison uniforms.

In the department of totally unbelievable situations, we have two events that may make you go, "Oh, come on." First is T-Bag getting his cut-off hand reattached by a veterinarian (apparently repairing severed tendons and nerves in a human wrist is pretty routine when you work with cats and dogs) and soon afterwards overpowering the doctor, using his newly reattached hand in the process. The second improbable event occurs when Lincoln and Michael take off in a slow-moving UPS-like delivery truck (with no doors on either passenger's or driver's side) while multiple officers fire their weapons at the truck. Apparently no police cars chase them and when the truck stops, just two police officers find it -- not exactly the response and manpower one would expect for fugitives that we learn have six-figure bounties on their heads.

Two episodes into the season and so far we've seen all but one of the escaped convicts -- wherefore art thou, Haywire? If there's one convict that was just begging to be caught and taken back to prison at the end of season one, it was the guy who was still in his prison outfit and riding down a street on a stolen kid's bike, while wearing a football helmet. How incompetent are the police in Prison Break's world that they can't at least catch that guy? Our guess is that they won't catch him, nor will they catch any of the other convicts any time soon, and later in the season they'll all meet up in Utah, fighting each other for the money. One can only hope that at least Agent Mahone will already be there, waiting for them, and single-handedly making the show interesting.

They gave it 4.5/10 stars.
Comments 
26th-Aug-2006 01:28 am (UTC)
WILL. NOT. READ.
*closes eyes*
Sooo tempting. I think I can wait less than 72 hours though.
26th-Aug-2006 01:35 am (UTC)
You cannot stay out of the spoilers, can you?!

I need to put a No-_klotera cut on these! :o)
26th-Aug-2006 02:31 am (UTC)
haha Yea but I didn't read it, I just scrolled down! I think that counts for something....
26th-Aug-2006 03:17 am (UTC)
Okay. You get points for scrolling. ;o)
26th-Aug-2006 01:31 am (UTC)
I disagree with a lot of comments that this guy made, especially the nitpicking over the stuff that's "implausible and unbelievable." Mainly because the entire SHOW is implausible and unbelievable. This is one show that really makes you suspend disbelief, and I think they do a really good job at that. I love the show, and I know that some of it is just preposterous, but I still enjoy it. The problem with most of these reviewers and critics is that they don't try to just watch the show and enjoy it. They look for a reason to crap all over it and that's what I'm seeing in this review.
26th-Aug-2006 01:38 am (UTC)
Yeah, I think he's being a party pooper too. I've seen the ep and I loved it. I didn't think it was as good as the first one, but that's because it's very short on the group dynamics That we've come to love (they split up toward the beginning of the ep).

Actually, I can't wait until the guys get back together later in the season. I think they need to be together... I don't know how many episodes I can handle about Tweener or Haywire. *Snooze* :o)
26th-Aug-2006 01:41 am (UTC)
It just gets to me that a few things can be called unbelievable when the whole show's premise is unbelievable. But we love it because we suspend disbelief to enjoy it. The guys getting back together is cool, but I really want to see Linc and Michael interact on the outside. There's gonna be a whole different dynamic and I can't wait for that.
26th-Aug-2006 02:04 am (UTC)
It just gets to me that a few things can be called unbelievable when the whole show's premise is unbelievable. But we love it because we suspend disbelief to enjoy it.

Exactly!

I really want to see Linc and Michael interact on the outside

I love seeing Linc not caged up, waiting to die. He's sarcastic and a little bossy and I love it. But I really miss them all together. I miss the way Sucre looks up to Michael, and how Abruzzi and T-Bag always thought they had the upper hand with him.

My fingers are crossed that my favorite characters are not killed in the upcoming "Man Down" episode. They've said two more will die (after V), but it better not be my guys! :o)
26th-Aug-2006 02:06 am (UTC)
Theres' so much more that can be done now that Linc isn't locked up. More of his personality can be let out. I love the way they all interact, which is why I'm glad that, at some point, the group comes back together. I'm just really glad to be getting some Michael/Linc time. They didn't really get to interact all that much while they were in Fox River. Now it's just the two of them and we can see how the brothers really work together.
26th-Aug-2006 02:14 am (UTC)
It's gonna be interesting... especially since Mike didn't even start to trust his brother until after he was put into jail. Remember what a jerk he was in "Brother's Keeper"? He's going to have to re-learn to be a baby brother.
26th-Aug-2006 02:18 am (UTC)
There hasn't been any communication between them. When they were in prison, they had to work together. They had to put the harsh feelings aside. Now that they're out, they have a little more freedom to where their personalities and issues are going to come out. Honestly, as much of a jerk as Michael was in Brother's Keeper, it was as much Linc's fault as it was his own. Linc never talked to him and told him what was going on, and Michael was working on the feelings that his brother abandoned him like everybody else. It's really quite sad, because for all of those years, neither really took the time to talk to each other and try to really explain their sides. It's going to be very interesting to see how things come out and are handled.
26th-Aug-2006 02:10 am (UTC)
>we have Michael and Lincoln, who look like badly dressed extras in a vintage episode of Miami Vice -- Lincoln's wearing a sport coat with a button-up shirt that's half un-buttoned, and Michael has a totally ridiculous combination of a Cubs baseball hat with a tan suit straight out of the '70s. They look about as conspicuous and out of place as they would have had they just left on their prison uniforms.

Actually, I agree with this part.
(Deleted comment)
26th-Aug-2006 02:15 am (UTC)
Hey! I love him in his dork gear. And Dom looks, um, suave (and a little skeevy) with his shirt like that.

(I just wanted to repost with my nerd icon too.) ;o)
26th-Aug-2006 07:50 am (UTC)
Has this person not watched daytime soaps? Does he really realize that daytime tv has more implausible scenarios than this show within a few short mintues? Clearly he needs a head check.

Also, all the implausible scernarios always add up to something else down the road.

Obviously this person hasn't watched 24 as well.
26th-Aug-2006 09:32 am (UTC)
"Obviously this person hasn't watched 24 as well."

Word. 24 and Prison Break are my two favourite shows (actually, they're my only shows) and I love them. I'd much prefer to watch these shows than LOST or The OC.

The thing with 24 and PB is that you have to suspend belief to watch them....and that's OK, because really, they only ask us to suspend this belief on matters we have NO clue about (hell, how many people can tell you what a state penitentary is like...or what it's like working for a top secret government agency?).

Pfft, I hate people who watch TV shows like this and expect it to be a frigging documentary!
27th-Aug-2006 05:35 am (UTC)
I hate people who watch TV shows like this and expect it to be a frigging documentary!

Agreed.
26th-Aug-2006 04:09 pm (UTC)
I agree with this guy on one thing -- we need more Haywire :D
26th-Aug-2006 07:23 pm (UTC)
Not going to read it yo.
This page was loaded Nov 21st 2019, 1:36 am GMT.