No account? Create an account
Escape is just the beginning.
Daily Variety Emmy Watch 
7th-Jun-2006 11:29 am
Snow White
In today's Daily Variety:

Emmys: The Writer

Class of 2005-06: Paul Scheuring, Creator, "Prison Break", Fox

Because it revolves around a single caper, "Prison Break" resembles a feature film more than a serialized TV drama. A man is wrongly convicted of attempting to murder the vice-president. His brother, a structrual engineer, believes he's innocent and conspires to have himself thrown in the same prison to help him escape. Along the way they enlist a crew of rather unsavory protagonists. 

"One thing we aspired to do is have a lot of gray area both in the good guys and bad guys," Scheuring says. "When you think about it, you are rooting for seven people-- some of whom have committed serious crimes." 

The first season was about prison where Scheuring focused on getting the flavor of prison vernacular. The second season will be spent on the run, which has proved liberating to the writers of the show. "It's emancipating to get out of that prison because in some ways you're in a (creative) box," Scheuring says. "Now we have the whole country as our playground."

But don't get too attached. Another TV convention he wants to break is that of the untouchable protagonist. "We're starting out the second season like it's 'American Idol,' " he says. "We'll be lucky at the end if there's even one guy standing." 
--Martin Learmouth

Comments 
7th-Jun-2006 11:24 pm (UTC)
"We'll be lucky at the end if there's even one guy standing."
--Martin Learmouth

Oh yeah, but they keep saying that. They can't kill Lincoln and they can't kill Michael... right? So one guy?? Hmm...

I hope they dont kill off C-Note, although he'll probably be the first to go :P
8th-Jun-2006 12:46 am (UTC)
But don't get too attached. Another TV convention he wants to break is that of the untouchable protagonist. "We're starting out the second season like it's 'American Idol,' " he says. "We'll be lucky at the end if there's even one guy standing."
--Martin Learmouth

Well, damn! That kinda has me worried. I still believe they cannot kill off Lincoln or Michael, cause then there wouldn't be a point to the show. As for the others, the only one I really really don't want to see go, is Sucre. He's so damn adorable, I would be so saddened if he 'bit the bullet'

I like T-Bag, Abruzzi and C-Note, and don't want to see them dead either. But, I'd rather have one of them, instead of Sucre. I just don't see it being T-Bag though. He's the antagonist, and of course every show needs one. Also, he's one of, if not THE most popular character on the show. As for Tweener and Haywire, I don't really care what happens to either of them...
8th-Jun-2006 12:36 pm (UTC)
I think it's a little lazy for them to continually try and shock us by killing people off. Why not get creative and WRITE good story without resorting to the tried and true axe? Every character has a fan base and if they kill off too many characters, they'll also kill the show because people won't watch.
8th-Jun-2006 12:37 pm (UTC)
So is Variety saying that Paul should be nominated for an Emmy?
This page was loaded Nov 20th 2019, 11:57 am GMT.