?

No account? Create an account
Escape is just the beginning.
It's Emmy time! 
23rd-May-2006 12:59 pm
PB- oragami
Also in today's The Hollywood Reporter: 

*Note
: These articles are long and only available online if you subscribe to www.thehollywoodreporter.com. I'm transcribing the parts relating to Prison Break. Forgive me for paraphrasing it but its about 6 pages total and I don't have the stamina for that.
*Note: Keep in mind, these are speculations. Nominations are released July 6th and the Emmy's will air on Aug 27th.

Season's Readings: A look at this year's Emmy playing field
by Ray Richmond

Feel free to put your hands over your ears and simultaneously yell "La-la-la-la-la!" if you've heard all this before: The Primetime Emmy Awards ceremony finally, legitimately, genuinely appears on the verge of a breakthrough in terms of inviting a bunch of new kids-- and some less new but long-ignored kids-- to the big show. Evoke skeptism if you must, but the prevailing wisdom is that Emmy telecast is poised to demonstrate a fresh, inclusive attitudestemming from a few key roles changes that happen to coincide with the fading away of many longtime primetime Emmy darlings. 

*second paragraph referring to past favorites that are now gone*

Hope suddenly springs eternal in the Emmy world for the distinguished, the disenfranchised and the just plain dissed. What this figures to mean is, for starters, a whole lot of ABC's "Grey's Anatomy" and Fox's "House" and possibly even Fox's "Prison Break," HBO's "Big Love" and FX's "Resuce Me" on the drama side, while in comedy, it would be unwise to bet against NBC's "The Office" (in its first full season) and "My Name Is Earl," UPN's "Everybody Hates Chris," "Desperate Housewives" again, perhaps HBO's "Entourage" and -- yes-- even WB Network's "Gilmore Girls," still looking for its first nomination in a major category in its sixth season of eligibility. 

*Article goes on to talk about the the shows that can fall into multiple categories and voting in the past*

Then again, maybe not. Just when you think you've got the Emmys figured out, you don't. While the Golden Globes ceremony at least is predictable in its unpredicability, the Emmycast  isn't even that, being drearily repetitious in some years and completely nontraditional in others. This could well be one of those years-- unless it isn't. 

Nominations for this year's Primetime Emmys will be announced July 6th in typical fashion (at 5:35 a.m. PDt at the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences' Leonard H. Goldenson Theatre in North Hollywood). The highest-profile statuettes will be handed out Aug 27th during a ceremony set to air at 8 p.m. EDT/PDT on NBC. 

Drama Series
Favorites:
"Big Love" (HBO), "Grey's Anatomy" (ABC), "Lost" (ABC), "The Sopranos" (HBO), "24" (Fox), "The West Wing" (NBC)
The Next Tier: "Battlestar Galactica" (SciFi Channel), "Boston Legal" (ABC), "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation" (CBS), "House" (Fox), "Prison Break" (Fox), "Rescue Me" (FX)
Long Shots: "The Closer" (TNT), "Huff" (Showtimes), "Medium" (NBC), "Nip/Tuck" (FX), "The Shield" (FX), "Six Feet Under" (HBO), "Veronica Mars" (UPN) 

Drama Acting Favorites: 
Lead Actor:
Hank Azaria, "Huff", Andre Braugher, "Theif", Michael Chiklis, "The Shield", Patrick Dempsey, "Grey's Anatomy", Matthew Fox, "Lost", James Gandolfini, "The Sopranos", Hugh Laurie, "House", Denis Leary, "Rescue Me", Wentworth Miller, "Prison Break", Bill Paxton, "Big Love", Martin Sheen, "The West Wing", James Spader, "Boston Legal", Kiefer Sutherland, "24"

Now that three-time winner Gandolfini is back in the Emmy race after a year's absence, he's probably got to be seen as not only a lock nomination but also a man to beat-- particularly when HBO can submit an episode that studies how Tony Soprano would have behaved had he not become a mobster. Voters eat up stuff like that. On the other hands, there is the matter of Spader, who has won here two straight years (first for "The Practice," then for its spinoff "Legal"). He is nothing if not a formidable foe. Oh, and then what about Laurie, who is thought to have been robbed a year ago and took home the Golden Globe in January. This is one very tough crowd for which to try and pick a winner. Figure the aforementioned are certain nominees, while the other two slots are up for grabs from amongst Azaria, 2002 Emmy winner Braugher (a 1998 Emmy winner for "Homicide: Life on the Street"), Chiklis, Dempsey, "It" boy Miller of the hot Fox rookie "Break," Fox, Leary, Paxton, Sheen and Sutherland. 

*Other categories broken down in article were Comedy series, Comedy actor and actress, Drama actress, Longform (movies), Movie/miniseries acting favorites, and reality/nonfiction.

Comments 
23rd-May-2006 09:31 pm (UTC)
Thanks for the article! Should be a pretty interesting race.
23rd-May-2006 09:35 pm (UTC)
Ooh, interesting! Thanks for posting this!! *keeps fingers crossed for PB/WM*
23rd-May-2006 09:43 pm (UTC)
The noms are released a couple of days after my b-day. And I want his name on the ballot. Hahah..great article!
23rd-May-2006 10:37 pm (UTC)
Me, too. They better get nominated, and I really hope they win if they do. I'm pulling for them.
23rd-May-2006 09:44 pm (UTC)
That's a tough crowd but the show or Wentworth being nominated - in itself is commendable.
23rd-May-2006 10:30 pm (UTC)
Of any actor on Prison Break to be nominated for an Emmy, to me, is Robert Knepper. I mean, yeah, Went is great and all. But I'm rooting for a nod for Knepper. :)
24th-May-2006 06:59 am (UTC)
Wow. I can't even read that without highlighting it to read what's in yellow.
24th-May-2006 12:35 pm (UTC)
In the new TV Guide they have they dream Emmy noms and there are no PB references. I was disappointed.

I think Rob Knepper should be nominated for best supporting actor in a drama series. Too bad they don't have a best villian category. He'd win that hands (or should I say hand) down.
24th-May-2006 06:55 pm (UTC)
Anyone know how the nominations are chosen? I know how they do it for the daytime emmys. Is it the same for primetime?
This page was loaded Nov 20th 2019, 9:06 am GMT.