?

No account? Create an account
Escape is just the beginning.
'Prison' music strikes a chord 
3rd-May-2006 09:54 am
PB- oragami
In today's Daily Variety:

*There is a MINOR spoiler about next week's ep, but nothing surprising that wasn't shown in the previews.*

'Prison' music strikes a chord
by Josef Adalian

The producers of Fox dramas "Prison Break" and "House" apparently share similar tastes in music. 

Final act of Monday night's "Break" featured an extended montage accompanied by the 1998 Massive Attack tune "Teardrop." It was all a buildup to next week's pivotal episode in which the show's prisoners finally break out. 

Just one thing: The song used during the scene happens to be the theme for another Fox drama, the Tuesday night smash "House." 

While it may seem like Fox was trying to subliminally hype "House" in "Break," net and execs say it was just a coincidence. 

"The music supervisor for 'Prison Break' didn't know it was the theme song for 'House,' " says a rep for 20th Century Fox TV, which produces "Break." And since the producers of "House" didn't have exclusive rights to the song there were no clearance issues to prevent "Break" from using "Teardrop."

While "House" airs on Fox, the show is produced by NBC Universal Television Studio, which might explain why nobody at 20th Century caught the song situation. 

But what about execs at the Fox network, which airs both shows? Even if different suits oversee the two shows, it would seem logical that the person in charge of "Prison Break" would have seen at least a few episodes of "House." 

A Fox rep had no comment.
Comments 
3rd-May-2006 05:22 pm (UTC)
I noticed that, it made me laugh though.
3rd-May-2006 08:11 pm (UTC)
I knew it was the House theme song! I was like wtf?! I was like mmm House is on tomorrow lol
3rd-May-2006 10:28 pm (UTC)
Dang, I knew it sounded familiar!
4th-May-2006 01:54 am (UTC)
my friend and I noticed that and we were all, 'OMG, are they hinting at a PB/House crossover? Could you *imagine* a conversation between Michael and Lincoln? Best Crossover EV-ER'

*lol* Think about it. I might even write a fic about it based solely on that musical 'slip-up'.

Yeah, like they didn't know that song was from House *rolls eyes*
4th-May-2006 03:42 am (UTC)
Ha....you totally should. I've seen one other House/PB crossover where Pope is in the hospital. I haven't had a chance to read all of it though.

Can you imagine Michael vs House? LOL......that would be absolutely priceless.

Yeah, I find it hard to believe too. I can't believe not a single person in post watches House.
4th-May-2006 01:45 pm (UTC)
Yeah, I find it hard to believe too. I can't believe not a single person in post watches House.

Yeah... Right!!

I don't buy it for a second.

Seems a lil too coincidental it shows up at the start of sweeps the day before a huge 2 part/ 2 night House is airing.
Come on Fox... be a man like Michael and fess up to the plan!
4th-May-2006 07:56 pm (UTC)
Honestly!! (yeah that two-parter was awsome :) ) *lol* yeahhh..I really should write that ;)

*and LOVE your icon! *squee*
4th-May-2006 06:21 am (UTC)
Hm, well we viewers outside the US don't have "Teardrop" as the theme for House (licensing restrictions, I guess). But post-production for PB isn't situated outside the US now, huh. :p ;)
5th-May-2006 02:08 pm (UTC)
I didn't note the song as the House theme. I only really started watching House this year. Maybe that's why, but who cares? The song's out in the public domain. It's not like they used the Friends' theme which I believe was specifically written for Friends. It didn't bother me. At least House and PB are on the same network. Maybe I was so enthralled in the PB montage that I didn't note the House connection.
(Deleted comment)
7th-May-2006 03:38 pm (UTC)
It really was a good song choice.
This page was loaded Nov 13th 2019, 5:39 pm GMT.