No account? Create an account
Escape is just the beginning.
Fox giving its seal of disapproval 
2nd-May-2006 09:34 am
Calvin and Hobbes- They'll never find me
This is in today's Daily Variety:

Fox giving its seal of disapproval
by Michael Schneider

Fox sent a not-so-subtle message Monday to reporters: Keep the network's review screeners off the Internet--- or risk legal action. 

In an attempt to crack down on illegal Internet uploads and pirated show discs, Fox has enacted new, tougher antipiracy measures on all of its review DVDs. 

Effective immediately, the network has placed invisible watermarks on its screeners that will identify which reporter or TV critic was sent the copy. 

"If unauthorized copies (including Internet uploads) of our television shows are traced back to your screener, you risk civil and criminal penalties," wrote Joe Earley, Fox's exec VP of publicity, corporate communications and creative services, in a letter to reporters and critics.

Also, review DVDs of Fox shows like "Prison Break" will be taped shut with a "security seal." Break open the seal, and you've agreed to the terms of Fox's tight restrictions-- no copying, loaning, renting or selling of the DVD. The network suggest reporters take a pair of household scissors and cut up the DVD after watching it. 

The new crackdown reps the most extensive yet by any network. It aso follows the lead of HBO, which has emblazoned screeners with a visible onscreen watermark (of the recipient's initials) for several years now. 

(Note- There is also a picture of a "Prison Break" DVD with the FOX seal taping it shut.)
Comments 
2nd-May-2006 04:57 pm (UTC)
They should make the DVDs disintegrate after viewing!

I've seen some DVDs sold on ebay.

It's a good idea. Reviewers shouldn't be profiting.
2nd-May-2006 05:22 pm (UTC)
YES!!! I am thrilled to hear this. I never seen leaks like I've seen with this show and have wondered forever when they were gonna plug the leak.

OMG!! I actually agree with Fox! I think that is a sign of the end of days
2nd-May-2006 05:52 pm (UTC)
Fox and Pam together at last? Is the ground getting colder? Cuz I think hell just froze over. :)~ j/k

I thought about you last nite. I was at the gym late and a re-run of X-Files was on. I wasn't watching it but it made me laugh to think about you while I was sweating on the elliptical trainer.
2nd-May-2006 05:44 pm (UTC)
Yeah, the spoilers for this show are going decline with FOX's new plan. I think it's a good idea too. As much as I like getting the inside scoop, the reviewers and reporters who are releasing the DVD's are making it harder for everyone else.
2nd-May-2006 06:09 pm (UTC)
I'm actually glad. Now I can watch them like a normal person.
2nd-May-2006 08:07 pm (UTC)
Yeah, this is good for someone like me who cannot resist a spoiler ever. Now I won't have to wonder if there is something out there that I should know! ;)
Oh man, I sound like such an addict. Cannot....break....away...from....spoilage. :P
5th-May-2006 02:01 pm (UTC)
You do sound like an addict. You are going to have a tough summer going through spoiler withdrawal.
5th-May-2006 02:16 pm (UTC)
I know I am going to have PB "track marks" all up and down my arms! ;)
2nd-May-2006 11:37 pm (UTC)
I knew it was just a matter of time. Although I do enjoy watching it ahead of time. I'm glad FOX plugged the leaks.
5th-May-2006 02:02 pm (UTC)
I'm glad FOX plugged the leaks.

They could use Bellick like Westmoreland did. :D
This page was loaded Nov 19th 2019, 10:18 am GMT.