No account? Create an account
Escape is just the beginning.
Daily Variety article 
29th-Nov-2005 10:22 am
Snow White

This is in today's "Daily Variety."

"Prison Producers Phoning It In
by Joesf Adalian

The producers of 'Prison Break' are taking interactive TV to a whole new level.

In recent weeks, as the show worked up to Monday night's fall finale, viewers might have noticed that a cell-phone number used by character Nika Volek (Holly Valance) wasn't of the typical '555' variety. Instead, it was a working phone number, (312) 909-3529. When called by viewers, it leads to a cryptic voicemail message from Luca.

Earlier in the season, producers also dropped an actual email address used by another character, LJ Burrows (Marshall Allman). Send an email to the address- and you'll get a coded response back.

'Both were easy ways to reach out to fans,' said 'Prison Break' supervising producer Nick Santora, who came up with the idea to use a real cell-phone number. 'I bounced the idea off of ('Break's showrunners) to help bring the show even more into a real world.' Santora said. 'People just picked up on it and it's been a firestorm.'

Indeed, viewers have been leaving all sorts of messages on the voicemail, sometimes even in character as fictional associates of the show's fictional characters. Writers and producers often listen to the voicemails while at work.

'It's bizarre, to say the least, but we get kick out of it,' Santora said.

Producers of Fox's '24'- which, like 'Prison Break,' is from 20th Century Fox TV- had fun with phone numbers last season, incorporating real digits into the storyline. In that case, however, the number was simply that of a production assistant and wasn't tied to characters of the show.

Santora said viewers might want to keep calling the number over the next few months. 'We're going to be changing the message and give out tidbits of information about things that will happen in future episodes and season two,' he said.

Meanwhile, FOx gave out this tidbit to viewers last night in its on-air promo: 'Prison Break' will return for the second half of its season in March. There had been speculation the show wouldn't be back until May, but Fox apparently decided to spare viewers a few months of cliffhanger agony."
11/29/05

Comments 
29th-Nov-2005 06:20 pm (UTC)
That's pretty cool
I think they did that in '24' too ...
Thanks fox for sparing us a few months ... till then
29th-Nov-2005 06:24 pm (UTC)
yup. they mentioned in the article that 24 did the same thing.
nice christmas icon. although that fire looks like it could burn down the whole house!
29th-Nov-2005 06:50 pm (UTC)
haha thanks
29th-Nov-2005 06:48 pm (UTC)
Gotta admit... I called Nika's cell # and listened to her desperate message to Michael.

Who is this Luca they're referring to?
29th-Nov-2005 07:10 pm (UTC)
I called it too.

Luca--I think it's a mistake. Should read Nika.
29th-Nov-2005 07:12 pm (UTC)
What did it say?

Mo: I can't believe I got an article in that you didn't get! You are the master of PB news! :)
29th-Nov-2005 07:39 pm (UTC)
Neither can I! My only excuse is I was at lunch. :) Thanks for posting it. :)
29th-Nov-2005 07:11 pm (UTC)
I wondered about that too. The only thing I can think of is that he got Nika's name wrong.
29th-Nov-2005 09:34 pm (UTC)
Santora said viewers might want to keep calling the number over the next few months. 'We're going to be changing the message and give out tidbits of information about things that will happen in future episodes and season two,' he said.

FRIGGIN' AWE-SOME!

i called the number the week after that episode aired and i left a voicemail, i just said my name and hometown and "I LOVE WENTWORTH MILLER!" yup.. 'tis what i said. i didn't think to do a character voice tho, i think i would have did Sara: "Who is the Nika bitch?! Michael's MY man!"

29th-Nov-2005 10:31 pm (UTC)
When I called, the voice mailbox was full. :(
29th-Nov-2005 11:17 pm (UTC)
try again. now we knoe they check the voicemail and clear the box when full. don't give up!
30th-Nov-2005 02:17 pm (UTC)
Same here.
30th-Nov-2005 12:58 pm (UTC)
I know the last post on this thing was a week ago, but I just found it right now.

How neat is this?!

However, when I called the number, it said "Verizon Wireless - I'm sorry, but this is not a working number." Does that mean the mailbox is full still?

Also, what's the e-mail they used for LJ?

Thanks guys. ;) This is so cryptic it's cool.
30th-Nov-2005 02:17 pm (UTC)
I think it is lj@ign.com.
This page was loaded Nov 14th 2019, 9:33 pm GMT.