mysterious_elle (mysterious_elle) wrote in _nuffism,
mysterious_elle
mysterious_elle
_nuffism

• Mood:

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas

Hi! I'm Elle, I'm new, and I have a holiday-inspired question for you all (probably that you've all been asked before).

I come from a long line of packrats and have made it one of my goals in life to break that chain. However, my family, especially during the holidays, just can't seem to grasp that I don't want in on their cluttered way of life. When my mom came to visit me for Thanksgiving, she brought with her a car full (packed to the point where the doors would barely close) of things that I did not want or need.

I've tried to explain the reasons why I don't want all of this stuff (environmentally very unfriendly, bought from stores or companies with sketchy policies, draining her bank account, a pain for me to move from apartment to apartment...you know the deal) but she just ends up getting offended and calling me unappreciative. These reasons all make perfect sense to me but I guess they're just a little too radical for the relatives. I'm stuck on how to better explain my lifestyle choices without sounding judgmental of theirs or seeming horribly  unappreciative of their generosity.

And so I am wondering, how have you explained your nuffism to family? Do they understand your choice, or do they think that you've gone off the deep end?
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

Error

default userpic
    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 4 comments