Candied Ginger (hearts_refuge) wrote in _notso_ordinary,
Candied Ginger
hearts_refuge
_notso_ordinary

I'd rather be anything but ordinary

THE MANDATORY STUFF.
Name; Preferred Name: Dallas Ann
Nickname(s) -- How did you earn them?: How did you earn them?:</b> At two years old, I was wide awake at 6 am and always woke up with a smile on my face. That prompted my mom to call me "Sunshine". Unfortunately I now greet the alarm with a groan and a grumble.
Astrological Sign: Taurus
Do you have a job? Do you go to school? Do you do both? Tell us about it: Both! I work full time as a front desk clerk (Where I get to pretend I'm a morning person.) at a rather unfortunate hotel. I also take night classes to obtain my LTA (library technical assistant) certification and Associates of Science. Maybe someday I'll finish out my degree with a Masters of Library Science but that dream is for another day.
Tell us one thing about you that you think EVERYONE should know: I've never been to Texas. Really. I haven't.

THESE ARE SOME OF MY FAVORITE THINGS...
Movie(s): Love Actually, X-Men (the first one), Disney's
Sleeping Beauty, 10 Things I Hate About You, Safe House (1998), Pride
and Prejudice (2005 version), Jurassic Park.
TV Show(s): Charmed, Grey's Anatomy
Book(s): The Hero and the Crown, War for the Oaks, Chrysanthemum
Band(s)/ Singer(s)/ Composer(s): The Beatles, Bach, Norah Jones, Sons of the Desert
Games (video games, board games, or otherwise): Life, Bejeweled, Sardines
Food(s): Lasagna, Flourless Chocolate Cake, Green Beans, Omelets
Drink(s): Coffee, Peppermint Tea, Mango Margaritas
Quote: The most important trip you may take in life is meeting
people halfway. ~Henry Boye

MORE! MORE! WE WANT TO KNOW MORE!
Explain the story/ meaning behind your LJ username: I needed a place that I would be able to share what was going on in my life, head, and heart without recrimination, judgment, or drama. My heart needed a refuge and I found through this live journal.
If you were given the chance, what personality trait and what physical trait would you change about yourself? The physical trait would the scars left over from my multiple surgeries. Personality trait would be my difficulty to say no when family members expect me to say yes.
What are some of your pet peeves? Chat speak, petty gossip, stupid drama, being late.
We all have guilty pleasures. What is (are) yours? Smutty romance books, dark chocolate.
What song or set of lyrics best represents you? I found this particularly challenging since I don't identify lyrics with my personal self. The best I could come up with is a song from Norah Jones' first album.

Spinning, laughing, dancing to
her favorite song
A little girl with nothing wrong
Is all alone

Eyes wide open
Always hoping for the sun
And she'll sing her song to anyone
that comes along

Fragile as a leaf in autumn
Just fallin' to the ground
Without a sound

Crooked little smile on her face
Tells a tale of grace
That's all her own

Spinning, laughing, dancing to
her favorite song
A little girl with nothing wrong
And she's all alone

One moment that has changed/affected your life: When I moved out from the West Coast to Central Illinois. It wasn't for any man or woman. It was for myself and only myself. Moving was the first step I took in creating a "me" that had no strings attached to any person, place or thing. I was free to be me without any hindrance. The moment of decision changed my life profoundly and I don't want to imagine what life would have been like if I had chosen the different path.
What are some of your goals and ambitions for the future? Be sure to include one thing you absolutely want to do before you die: My ambitions include getting my Masters degree in Librarian Science, having kids, parasailing, traveling the Caribbean, and learning how to
ride a unicycle. The goal I have to do before I die is learn how to not be nervous around my mother in law. :-p
Which words best describe you? Quirky, loving, crazy.
If you could travel back (or forward) in time, what time period would you choose to travel to and why? The 1980's. Assuming I could come back to my current time, I'd want to travel back 21 years and watch myself be born and watch the many things I have forgotten.
What is the kindest thing you've done for another without asking or expecting anything in return? I housed someone for 2 weeks while she was needing a place to hide as she was trying to leave an abusive
relationship.

EVERYONE HAS ISSUES.
Choose 5 of the opinion prompts below. There are suggestions after some of the prompts. Please do not feel that you have to discuss all of the suggestions; you don't have to address any of them if that's your prerogative. They are there simply to provoke thought.

• Reproductive Issues (Abortion, the availability of Plan-B over-the-counter, insurance coverage for birth control): The idea of an abortion makes me sad, but I am very glad that it is legal. Without it being a legal practice, it would be forced underground. I'd rather women be safe, healthy, and able to make an informed decision than have to rely on rumors, iffy physicians, and the fear of seeking help if there are complications.
  • Religion:
  • Legal Drinking Age (Should there be an a legal drinking age? If so, what should it be? Why?): I think the legal drinking age should be bumped down to 18. I don't agree with the idea that the government has the ability to send people to war at 18 and they not permitted to have a beer before they leave.
  • Animal Rights:
  • Gay rights (Gay marriage, Adoption, domestic partner rights for insurance coverage): People who are gay are simply people. They aren't mutants or even freaks of nature! A heterosexual couple should have no more rights than that of a homosexual couple. As long as the couple is stable, loving and meets the requirements of the adoption agency, it shouldn't matter what gender each member of the couple is. There are so many children who need good homes and by denying homosexual couples children is directly denying a child a home.
  • Sex Education (Should it be mandatory? Comprehensive vs. abstinence-only): While abstinence, to some people, seem like the ideal, it's not the mainstream practice. By only relying on abstinence education, the educators are encouraging the promotion of sexual myths
    and ideas (such as you can't get pregnant the first time, a guy can be too big for a condom). This is a huge disservice to school kids. They need to know where to get and how to use condoms and other forms of birth control even if they choose not to have sex.
  • Education/ Dropping out of school: It's very frustrating for those people who have chosen to get their GED or "just" their two year associates degree to find a position in the in the work force without having to start at the bottom of the wage pool. Education is not necessarily an indicator of experience or knowledge. Education does not make the person. Rather, the person makes the education.
  • Censorship (Censorship in the media, Government censorship):

Pick a topic, not listed above, about which you feel strongly. Tell us your opinion on it, and why you feel sto strongly about it. The way in which state funding for K-12 grades is disturbed is very unfair. Since the majority of funding is based off of property taxes, school districts in the more affluent areas naturally get more funding than those in the poorer neighborhoods. State governments have tried to fix this problem, but no state is equalized.

A good early education is very important to a person's success in life. If a person, at a young age, is able to articulate well, manage time, work with peers, etc., it will enable them to further their life in the work force if they choose not to go on to college. Without this vita training that is difficult to come by in lower income schools, the children are being set up for failure later on in life. Of course, there are always those who excel no matter what situation you place them in but they are few and far between.

Now, tell us one topic that you wish people would simply stop talking about and let us know why: All the headlines screaming
    "OMG!!! Is *insert celebrity female name* pregnant?" with a photoshopped arrow pointing to her stomach. Maybe she is, maybe she isn't but it's her own business. If she is, perhaps she's waiting to see if the pregnancy sticks. Maybe she's just having an off day and is bloated. Either way, it's nobody's business other than her and her significant other.

FLEX THAT IMAGINATION MUSCLE!
    (Choose at least 1 prompt below.)

• Post a picture that you feel best represents you. This may not simply be a picture of yourself. Explain to us why you chose this picture and how it is representative of your personality.

This image shows my husband's and my ability to laugh over everything. During our engagement photo session, things were not going well at all and finally we just collapsed on the grass and had a good laugh. Our photographer snapped this shot and things went much better there
    after.

Us

• You're the lead singer of a popular band. We want to hear all about it. What kind of music do you play? What is the name of the band? What is the name of your album and your first hit single. Also, give us a preview of the lyrics.
  • Post an original work. This can be a poem, short story, drawing, painting, link to a sound clip, etc. Wow us with your talent.

This was something I wrote as an exercise of description

A Different Sort of Day

Today is a day of sadness, one of quiet tears. There is no explanation for this; it merely is.

The world outside seems to mirror my observation. Every blade of grass and tree needle is damp and the very air feels cool and moist. People at work seem subdued, which is unusual. Guests are quiet and the lights seem dim. For once, I am thankful that I am working by myself. Quietness surrounds the desk and even the pervasive hum of the computers are muted. The only jarring interruption is the phone, but it hasn't rang much today. When it does, the person on the other end is often harried and impatient. My conversations with them only punctuate the ambience surrounding me today.

THE BEGINNING OF THE END.
    Where/from whom did you hear about us? Through Teechers_pet's info page.
    The community name is Not So Ordinary. So, tell us what makes you not so ordinary: No one else has my exact name and my life experiences have given a very unique twist on my view of the world.
    Why do you want to join this community? Because it appears to be full of neat people, interesting activites and surprisingly little drama.
    Any last words? Never fry bacon in the nude. Trust me on this one.

Give us a 100x100 picture for the members page if you are accepted.

I don't have any current pictures of just me. If this is a problem, I can try to find one and upload it.
    Beloved

GOOD LUCK!
  • Subscribe
    • Post a new comment

Error

Comments allowed for members only

Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

default userpic

Your IP address will be recorded 

• 17 comments