> Profile

December 5th, 2010

Previous Entry Share Next Entry
kill_inhibition
07:15 am - Hello!

• Name? Blue Star Woman

• Age? 24

• Are you Native? Yes

• If so, what is your affiliation? Ojibwe. Turtle clan.

• If not, what brings you here?

• Your "family ties" are in what areas? Manitoba

• Did you grow up on a reservation, homestead, etc.? No

• Do you practice a form or forms of your native culture? I am just learning the culture. My Grandmother is a residential school survivor and my dad, uncles and aunts were all placed in Christian foster homes. My dad has an aversion to traditional culture but my uncle doesn't and is pointing me in the right direction.

• Do you speak/understand your native language? If so which one(s)? No. I can say my name, and a few basic greetings. I tried to take Ojibwe language classes in university but it was way over my head.

• Your interests and/or anything else you'd like to share? Now that I have a son I am trying to learn as much as possible so I can teach him the culture. My partner is not native but is interested in the culture. I'm also vegan and the use of animals in our culture prohibits me. I wont dance because I wont make a dress using animals. I still allow myself to do sweats even though it means sitting on/under hides and using rattles but that is where I draw my line. While I do not judge others, avoiding the use of animals in our traditions is my personal internal battle (between spirituality and personal ethics).

(1 comment | Leave a comment)

Comments:

[User Picture]
Date:December 5th, 2010 11:32 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I'm mixed race and not fully native, but I'm also veg and completely understand what you're talking about. I'm not the spiritual sort, but it does present a feeling of disconnect to, on one side, abhor the killing of animals, and on the other side, seek solidarity with a culture that uses animal parts liberally.

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com