?

No account? Create an account
Name? Candice   Age? 22   Are you Native? 1/2.   If… - Native American Community: The Uncensored Native American Community

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile

July 2nd, 2010

Previous Entry Share Next Entry
candisayshello
12:30 am
  • Name? Candice

• Age? 22

• Are you Native? 1/2.

• If so, what is your affiliation? Crow (Apsaalooke) and Choctaw.

• If not, what brings you here?

• Your "family ties" are in what areas?

• Did you grow up on a reservation, homestead, etc.? No, I grew up in the suburbs, disconnected from my culture.

• Do you practice a form or forms of your native culture? As much as I can, considering I didn't grow up with it.

• Do you speak/understand your native language? If so which one(s)? I wish I could understand Apsaalooke and speak it, but there are limited resources for this. I've been to native-languages.org and several other places, but have yet to find anything with a lot in it. I cannot speak the Choctaw language, either but I am trying to learn. My great-grandma (still alive today) did not speak it to my grandpa or anyone else and may not have known it fully herself. I want to reintroduce it into our everyday life, as I have decided I definitely want children in the future and want them to know who they are, where they came from, and be able to speak the language fluently.

• Your interests and/or anything else you'd like to share? Not much now...:)

(2 comments | Leave a comment)

Comments:

[User Picture]
Date:July 2nd, 2010 08:47 pm (UTC)
(Link)
You might try poking around the website of Little Bighorn College in Montana:

http://www.lbhc.edu/about/

They are the principal Crow educational institution and probably have an assortment of language and cultural resources available. (You probably already know that, but I thought it might be worth mentioning anyway.)
Date:July 2nd, 2010 08:56 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Yep! I know about this resource and have honestly found it extremely useful and helpful!! But thank you for trying to help! If you know of anything else, please do let me know!

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com