hyperion_way (hyperion_way) wrote in _moviereview,
hyperion_way
hyperion_way
_moviereview

United 93

United 93 invoked a wider array of emotions from somewhere deep down in me than any other movie I have ever seen.  Fear, pride, hatred, sorrow, anger, and terror all swelled up in me at different points throughout the movie.  I was so mixed up by the end that I couldn't speak for ten minutes after the movie ended...there's not too many things that render me speechless.

The movie guides us through the events of 9/11 from the perspective of several of the key players of the day:  the FAA, different air traffic control centers, the military, and the hijackers and passengers of United 93.  In many cases, the characters in the movie outside of the plane, such as air traffic controllers and flight directors, were portrayed by the actual men and women performing those duties on that fateful Tuesday.

What a nightmare September 11th was.  It was a nightmare for the American people who woke up that morning and found themselves at war with an unknown enemy, a nightmare for the air traffic controllers who didn't know what the hell was happening, and a nightmare for the military who was having to decide whether or not to shoot down these passenger planes.  And of course even more terrifying for the people on the four hijacked planes...this movie gives amazing and terrifying insight into the final moments of the passengers' and crews' lives.

Of course, for the hijackers, this was not a nightmare at all, they were simply carrying out the will of God.  I don't think I will ever be able to wrap my head around that.  The movie gives us very little perspective on the hijackers other than to show the audience that they believed they were carrying out plans ordained by their god, and if that's the case, I find that so perverse it literally makes me nauseous.

The movie does a great job of making you feel like a passenger on the plane.  As a viewer, I was so proud of the men who fought to take over the plane, but at the same time I was incredibly mournful.  Even if I hadn't have know how it would end, there's only one way an event like that can end.  There's simply no way to wrest control of a plane from a man strapped into his seat and hell-bent on killing himself and everyone on the plane.

The movie's director and writers did a marvelous job in handling this delicate movie.  The movie tells the story of 9/11 chronologically, and when we reach the point where United 93 was the only hijacked plane left in the sky, the movie did not cut away from the plane again, and then the movie ended exactly when it should have. 

The passengers of those hijacked planes were put in a most horrifying and impossible situation.  I'm very glad this movie was made, America needs to know about the heroes of flight United 93.

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal, famous scientist and physicist

Check out my brand-spanking-new LJ and a longer version of this review at hyperion_way
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

Error

default userpic
    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 0 comments