March 15th, 2005

hi all

It's been about 2 1/2 years since i last moved but I figured i should post a little something.

It's hard moving back to ones "home" country after much time abroad, this happened to me when I moved back from Indonesia to the U.S. A country which had changed a lot in the 3 years I was away. I was in Indonesia at the time of 9/11 and didn't feel particularly moved by the tragedy. When I left America in 1998, Americans had this optimism, that life was at least essentially good. Bill Clinton was president a man many admired both in the states and abroad. When I came back it was completely different. Americans in the span of two years became overwhelmingly pessimist in my mind. We elected a "compassionate" conservative who proves to be exceedingly reactionary in his bearing. The country seemed to have turned starkly conservative in bearing as a whole. All of a sudden certain precepts I had taken for granted, such as the absense of church in schools, freedom of speach for everyone, science as science and not as something to be debated about by theologans; these things came to the forefront. In the area I live in, in the last three years we went from very few churches in the area to a plethora of them; overwelmingly so.

I've never felt at home in the U.S, I've spent more than half of my life overseas in various countries, but what happened after 9/11 was such an extreme shift. From openness and welcoming too extreme suspision towards all. I realize that all countries change with time, but I wonder if anyone else has had a similar reaction upon returning to their home country.