Christina Cathleen (rhetoricfem) wrote in _massagetherapy,
Christina Cathleen
rhetoricfem
_massagetherapy

Committing to Massage Therapy

Greetings and Salutations,

I have a question for you all, though there was also a similar question posted here not too long ago.  I wanted to know, if you can put a finger on it, what was the deciding factor(s) that pushed you toward an education in massage therapy?

I ask, because at the moment, I believe I'm nearing such a decision myself. So I'm just interested in what did it for other people. Up until this semester I've been working toward my B.A. in journalism, but still have a way to go. I'm not deterred from the academic life, but just need that change of pace.

A few years back I considered seriously considered massage therapy, but put all schooling on hold at the time due to starting a family and military travels. Fast forward to now. Hubs just left a few weeks ago for a deployment, our kiddos are three years and 18 months old, I've got a full course load, and just spent the past week-and-a-half at the cardiologist being tested for heart problems. Thankfully, it was concluded that I'm overall healthy, save for stress and anxiety bad enough that I now have frequent heart palpitations...

Now I'm doing the paperwork to drop this semester and just focus on my kiddos until Hubs gets back around the holidays. Somewhere during the questioning-of-my-health-and-well-being ordeal, I began rethinking my priorities in life. While writing has always been a huge part of my life (and always will be), and journalism for many years a passion, I know how I function, and feel that I am more than likely to not only keep stress on myself, but unintentionally put more focus on challenging/joyful work than my family. Re-enter massage therapy into the picture. Now, I'm not discounting the hard work, physical/emotional/mental duress that goes into this field. I just feel like it would be a better fit for where I am in life these days. I feel like I would do a better job as a parent/professional/human being if I were to enter this field, and am sure I could be happy doing it. I think one of the first times I really appreciated what touch can do for a person was when my father was in the hospital with cancer, and the way he responded to my giving him back rubs, or simply lightly running fingertips up and down his back for him. That was probably the beginning of the contemplation for me.

So yeah. I won't spill the rest of my life story, but I just thought I'd provide a bit of background on why I'm thinking this over. I think I'm just trying to comfort myself through other peoples' experiences, because I'd like to start school for massage therapy this January, and not only is it a chunk of time away from my kiddos, but it's also a good bit of money. While this doesn't feel like a brash decision, I'm still immersing myself in research and community wherever possible. ;) 

Thanks for reading. Take care!
Subscribe

• Free Thai massage workbook

I put this out recently and wanted to share it here. The workbook gives you high quality photos and text to start using Thai massage in your…

• In the Mail CEUs

I apolgize if this is a silly question, but I've tried multiple searches and could not find an answer to my question... I need a few more CEUs…

• (no subject)

Just curious if anyone else has experienced a recent drop in tips? I used to make a killing off tips at this lodge I work at in upstate NY, but the…

• Post a new comment

Error

default userpic
    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 3 comments