?

No account? Create an account
News And Convo About Love, Truth, And Censorsed Info - Share Your Thoughts Here
Open Letter to Freelance Writing Jobs Website 
9th-Dec-2006 04:06 am
peacefulprotest
Open Letter to Freelance Writing Jobs Website

You asked for permission to publish my email to you (in the below email that you sent to me.

From      "Deborah Ng" <freelancewritingjobs@gmail.com>

Subject     

Re: Call for Submission (submitted to Writers Gazette and More)  

May I have your permission to reprint this letter on my blog?

Deb

I clearly told you "no, no, do not publish my prior emails to you, but yes, I would very much like for you to publish the below letter which is
a more easily understood chronological account of my past two emails to you. in my below letter to you because I realized that you might try to publish excerpts with  rude insults.  You sent the below letter to me on Nov 26th stating that you would not publish it.  Then, in the following link, found by clicking here, you published it anyway... ...in excerpts with rude insults.

You then went on to publish to your bulletin board forums:  "I'm not responding as I've had enough drama in my life lately." You sent me over four emails and posted my letter to your blog and I had to place you on my spam list. Is that what you call not responding?

I am now publishing the full account.

Love, Solidarity for a Better World,

-Independent Writer for the Radical Caring Zine
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 15:43:04 -0500, "Deborah Ng"
<freelancewritingjobs@gmail.com > said:
> Sorry, no. I was only interested in posting the other email

---------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Freelance Writing Jobs,

Thank you for your wonderful email. In answer to your request to
publish my letter to you, no, do not publish my prior emails to you, but
yes, I would very much like for you to publish the below letter which is
a more easily understood chronological account of my past two emails to
you. Thank you very much for your request to publish my letter.

A few days ago I sent the below request to you in hopes that you would
publish it onto your website under “Free Freelance Job Listings.”

> "Welcomes submissions from both new and established writers. Over 60%
> > freelance. Radical Caring, is the People's Empowerment Publication
> > Dedicated to Encouraging, Inspiring, Networking, Celebrating and
> > Remembering Activists and Communities Worldwide. It is a printed
> > publication and the site includes print, online, audio and soon video
> > stories. New writing is sought about activist communities and other
> > radical writing that is related (either directly or indirectly) to
> > radical activism, love, or shared living and community situations in all
> > genres (fiction, non-fiction, surreal, experimental, and everything
> > else). Writers are encouraged to study recent issues for content and
> > style as we are not a typical, activism publication (for example we are
> > not interested in articles about politicians). Since articles are
> > written 4-6 months before publication, we avoid covering immediate
> > events, as such writing is certain to be out of date by the time they
> > appear. Send your entire submission (not a query) in the body of an
> > e-mail. We do not accept attachments or hard copies unless we
> > specifically request them. Include your name, the story's title, the
> > story's genre, and the story's length at the beginning of the e-mail.
> > Your document should be single spaced, with a blank line between
> > paragraphs. Paragraphs should not be indented. Follow your story with a
> > short bio (50-100 words). You are welcome to link to other published
> > work, to an extended version of the article or to a personal webpage.
> > Average article is approx. 1,000 to 3,000 words in length although
> > longer work will be considered. Visual assists are also greatly
> > encouraged, as well as graphics, illustrations, and photographs (but
> > excluding all logos). We do not link to myspace pages. Payment is in
> > the form of extended complimentary subscription, complimentary display
> > ad, author is permitted to duplicate and sell Radical Caring keeping all
> > profits and other awards are given.  www.RadicalCaring.org"
> >
> > =====end of listing=============

I then received a reply from which was as follows:

Thanks so much for considering us for your advertisement. I'm sorry to
> inform you we only post paying opportunities.
Good luck!
>
> Deborah Ng

My reply to you (shortened for brevity) was as follows:

Dear Freelance Writing Jobs,

Thanks for your email. Radical Caring is a not-for-profit publication
and the position is paid. It states at the bottom that it pays.
"Payment is in the form of extended complimentary subscription,
complimentary display ad, (to be exact, a '1/6 pg 5" high by 2 1/2' wide
ad- currently valued at $29.00 but a far greater value when you consider
that most writers can't afford an ad inside most corporate magazines
which they write for). In addition, the author is permitted to
duplicate and sell Radical Caring keeping all profits (which has a
potential value of thousands of dollars) and other awards are given."
Many other magazines, publishers and especially multinational
corporations create writing positions that offer, cold hard cash which
percentage wise, equates to less than .000005% of the profit which they
make on the final writing product. Radical Caring actually cares about
our writers thus we offer them the opportunity for writers to actually
sell the final product keeping 100% of the profits.

The kind of payment which [your website generally is restricted to] is
obviously strictly in cold, hard cash and it is very unfortunate to your
readers, writers, to people working for a better world, and even to the
 people who enabled you to be in such a powerful position that you
should exclude other forms of payment. This world existed for thousands of years using
mutual aid, barter and trade which often creates a form of payment which
is far more socially just then cash ever could represent.

Your [website’s] strict interpretation of 'payment' also creates a power
structure which promotes writers to only hear (through your website) about
magazines and publications which have cold, hard cash as a result of
their unethical, unscrupulous, multinational corporate business
practices.

Your website currently post leads for "Golf Event Magazine" and for
[another website described only as] "Golf Writers" which only pays fifty dollars
with their description posted on an anonymous Craig list webpage, but our
activist publication, which has a website, podcast and blog is censored by your
standards?

Maybe the Radical Caring focus on caring about the creation of a
socially just world causes us to come up lacking for cold, hard cash but
its a sacrifice for which our readers and writers thank us.

Thanks for your wish for your Good Luck. Please also send my thanks to
the primary Writers Gazette website for including entries in their 'calls
for submissions' webpage under "Writer Jobs" which include barter and trade
payment listings for writers.

Love, Solidarity for a Better World,

-Radical Caring writer
www.RadicalCaring.org

-------------------------------------------------------

SIde Note: if any readers are looking for good blogs for writers please visit these
(listed in alphabetical order):

1. A Community of Activist Writers/ Bloggers

2. Allison Winn Scotch’s Ask Allison

3. Angela Booth’s Writing Blog

4. Anne Wayman’s The Golden Pencil

5. Carson Brackney’s Content Done Better

6. Dianna Huff’s B2B Marcom Writer Blog

7. Kristen King’s InkThinker

8. Liz Strauss’s Successful-Blog

9. Love4truthnews Community

10. Tom Chandler’s Copywriter Underground

11. Zine_scene

12.  Zine_world

13. Zinegeeks

14. Zinereviews

15. Zines_canada

16. Zinescene

17. Zinescene_uk

18. Zinestar

19. Zinester

20. Zinesters

Number #1, #9 and #11 through #20 are Community Blogs and anyone may post to them.
Comments 
10th-Dec-2006 08:52 pm (UTC) - Ummm....
Anonymous
I don't think you realize how well regarded Deb Ng is. She looks out for writers and realizes we all have bills to pay. How terrible of us to choose to be paid with money! I do believe in a barter system but it has to benefit both parties. For instance, I asked my landlord if I could pay him with a subscription to Radical Caring and he said no. He must care more about golf.

I also don't think you realize how loony you look. Especially when you look at your original comments to Deb, the ones you didn't want anyone to see. She kept her promise to you. She didn't reprint your whole email, just quoted select paragraphs. Either way, she's not the one who comes out of this looking bad.

Sometimes it takes a neutral party to point out the obvious. You're welcome.

The Craigslist Curmudgeon.

10th-Dec-2006 09:18 pm (UTC) - Support for Deb
Anonymous
I just want to join the Curmudgeon in offering my support for Deb. If anyone looks out for writers it's her. Her generosity and spirit are heartwarming. That she spends hours of her time helping us find work says something about her personality. I'm not sure if you realize this, but Deborah Ng doesn't receive payment for providing job leads and support to us every day. She does so out of the goodness of her heart. She does it cheerfully and graciously and doesn't use her blog as a platform to insult others. She gives up hours of her day every day, so writers can find better opportunities. Do you? Do you really want to discuss who cares more for writers?

As I understand it, you send Deb a request for her to post a job on her blog. A request she respectfully declined. (See above). Though she was quite polite and even wished you luck, you sent her a heated email, bits of which were posted on her forum. This was uncalled for. The mature thing would have been to let it go.

I wish you luck in dealing with your anger issues.

Sincerely,

Kathryn Malone

11th-Dec-2006 05:38 pm (UTC) - Equal Opportunity Editing?
Anonymous
I noticed you edited your own reply to Deb's courteous rejection of your job lead. I wonder why that would be?

12th-Dec-2006 06:35 pm (UTC) - In Support of Deborah Ng
Anonymous
Thank you for giving me a very clear inside look at the mindset of those involved with Radical Caring. Why anyone in their right mind would ask for volunteers on a site that focuses on jobs that offer some sort of payment (barter or cold hard cash) is beyond me. That one would create such a tempest in a teapot when politely declined only makes me shake my head even more.

If the "caring" part of your name had any real meaning, you could have responded back to Deborah asking if she knew of any places that would be appropriate to post asking for volunteer writers. I have no doubt she would have been happy to ask those who participate on her message board, and you probably would have ended up with several links that you could use.

Ripping into her because she did not do what you wanted her to do is unethical, unprofessional, and certainly uncaring. I suggest you explore your motives for reacting the way you did.
12th-Dec-2006 08:32 pm (UTC) - Why are all Deborah Ng supporters anonymous if she is so well regarded?
Anonymous
I read both sides of this, and I think that if Deb was so well regarded she'd have more than anonymous people flipping out on a community blog! Probably Deb posting over and over..notice the in-your-face in support of Deb titles.

She seems to be just another tyrant who kisses up to businesses with money. Just another gold-digger. And unfortunately its not her fault, she just chose money over ethics.

And in regards to the original poster, next time, use pictures when posting something this long so it keeps us readers interested.

My 2 cent.
12th-Dec-2006 09:28 pm (UTC) - Re: Why are all Deborah Ng supporters anonymous if she is so well regarded?
Anonymous
...And you are?

The Craigslist Cumudgeon isn't anonymous, he has his own blog and most writers know who he is at this point. I, Kate Malone, gave my name earlier. I only see one anonymous comment in support of Deb. The person who started this in the first place is anonymous and so are you. I do believe you're talking out of your ass. If you're going to bitch about anonymity why wouldn't you leave a name?

As for the rest of your ridiculous comment, I think most sane, intelligent people can draw their own conclusions.
12th-Dec-2006 10:01 pm (UTC) - Re: Why are all Deborah Ng supporters anonymous if she is so well regarded?
Anonymous
Oh yes, using profanity multiple times in your 97 word comment on a public community blog is the hallmark of your sanity. You, Kate Malone, John Doe, Deborah Nq Kate Malone, and me, Jane Doe Deb Kate Malone III...the third of course. Everyone on this blog, except for you, seems to knows who heywelcomehome from all the public love letters written over the past year...but you, you're the Jane Doe who is cursing.

Please keep cursing at me, you'll prove to everyone how you're the embodiment of the courteous nature that you and your multiple personalities speak of so much. Nice. Oh yes, my comment was 'ridiculous' as you say...and your comment was...umm, the epitome of....oh yes, sanity?

When I say keep cursing, it is not sarcasm. I encourage you to practice freespeech, because unlike your/Debs' (or who ever you want to call yourself) website... they don't censor in this community.

This is my last post to you because no one deserves the profanity. Not even someone as 'ridiculous' as myself. Feel free to say what you will.
17th-Dec-2006 05:35 am (UTC) - Re: Why are all Deborah Ng supporters anonymous if she is so well regarded?
Anonymous
Quoting text from above:

>If anyone looks out for writers it's her. Her generosity and spirit are >heartwarming. That she spends hours of her time helping us find work says >something about her personality. I'm not sure if you realize this, but >Deborah Ng doesn't receive payment for providing job leads and support to >us every day. She does so out of the goodness of her heart. She does it >cheerfully and graciously and doesn't use her blog as a platform to insult >others.

>The mature thing would have been to let it go.

I've been a member of the love4thruth community for a while. Its not a frequently updated community, but at least I can count on truth here. Then Kate Malone starts talking and BOOM! I feel like she's campaigning for a politician. So I took a look at the Deb blog and this is what I saw on the 12/7/06 entry, in addition to all the trans-national flashing ads:

"this blog has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams. I'm starting to earn a small daily income through advertising ..."

That doesn't sound like the goodness of her heart. More like the goodness of ads.

Not only ads, but you also see "Visit the FWJ Store" "Make a Donation" and of course, the Amazon.com (vicious anti-union retailers) link and search tool giving her commission and of course, on the side, my favorite sell-out phrase of all:

"Advertise Here."

I would like to thank the love4truth community for not having flashing ads, Donations needed button, and "Advertise Here"...and for not upgrading to a flashing ad livejournal account like so many other livejournal communities are doing.

There are too many self-serving, profit-on-everything, Deb's in the world.

This is the love4trhuth community, not love4untruth or love4paidads community.

Moderator: Is there a chance you could delete the lies of Kate Malone?

As for heywelcomehome... can you add me to your friends list?

Thanks.

-Jess Annette Benton
If you're on my friend's list, please place comments on my livejournal, thanks.

p.s.

Don't forget Deb and company, take Kate Malone's advice: do the mature thing and let it go. Who knows maybe you'll look professional and get more of those corporate ads on your blog that you've been selling out for.
This page was loaded Jul 16th 2019, 4:11 pm GMT.