?

No account? Create an account
"Making the Darkness Conscious": The Lord of the Rings - Literally — LiveJournal [entries|archive|friends|userinfo]
Literally

[ userinfo | livejournal userinfo ]
[ archive | journal archive ]

"Making the Darkness Conscious": The Lord of the Rings [Jan. 27th, 2005|08:52 pm]
Literally

_literally

[consrvtve_rebel]
[Current Mood |thoughtfulthoughtful]
[Current Music |Dido - Life for Rent]

I figured I'd post some food for thought! I was reading the article that Garrison handed out last time - the Lord of the Rings article. There is some good stuff in it. First off, though, remember that I (and most of us) have never gotten to the very end of the trilogy - I, at least, speak from the movies. Perhaps the ending was depicted differently in the movie. Here's a jump-off quote from the article:

"[Mount Doom] is...where [Frodo] will face the gravest challenge of all: the danger of physical and psychic ruin if he refuses to part with the Ring at the last moment."

This is true - the reader/audience waits for the moment, when Frodo is about to make the final decision. And, lo and behold, he chooses to keep the Ring for himself. Hopefully, I am undisputed so far. Gollum then makes his appearance after Sam looks especially sad, and then Frodo and Gollum wrestle about, and finally, both go off the edge, and Gollum falls into the fires of Mount Doom, leaving Frodo dangling. Here is what I wish to point out: Frodo never made the conscious decision to let the Ring go; he never chose to destroy it. Accident chose to sacrifice Gollum in the destruction of the Ring; it easily could have taken Frodo instead. They both wanted the Ring; Frodo fought with anger and greed, not righteous bravery.

The article talks about how "power cannot defeat power. Only the abandonment of power can truly defeat power. Might does not make right and never will." Frodo, however, did not abandon power. He wanted it just as Gollum did at those last moments - they became truly equal at the last moment. They truly became each other’s Shadows - doppelgangers - and one of them died.

Here is where I inevitably pull in the Heart of Darkness twist. In order for Frodo to overcome the Shadow he had hanging over - and leading - him through the entire journey, he had to let go of everything and become the Shadow itself. It then became a physical contest of power between Frodo and his Shadow.

I hope this was a good start. Ready, set, debate!
LinkReply

Comments:
[User Picture]From: bdaul
2005-06-12 06:23 am (UTC)

Simplify

I thought everyone knew that the true hero of the Trilogy is Samwise.

Frodo wants to do the right thing, but he is wounded by Evil and carries the scar, along with the ring, close to his heart. Close proximity to evil always leaves a trace and clouds our judgement. But Samwise is the devoted, loving friend who has as his only goal helping Frodo with whatever task he has set. Samwise make the sacrifice not for power, not to fight power, not for any large noble cause, but only to be there for his beloved friend. Even when Frodo turns against him, his only thought is that Frodo is in danger.

The message is really quite simple. Great glorious deeds may need doing, so we strike out with the noblest of intentions. In the end, the only thing that can save us is love.
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: desi_pixie
2005-12-11 04:46 pm (UTC)
Isnt anyone here anymore?

(Reply) (Thread)