March 24th, 2009

Dear indie/scene kids/hipsters/whoever else thinks they're too good for 'mainstream' music,

GET A LIFE.

No, seriously. There are two main problems with your policy of not listening to anything that makes the radio:

1) It makes you look and sound pretentious to sit there with your mates and bitch about the fact that such and such a band got played on the radio. NO ONE CARES. In fact, it's a good thing that a good band gets played on the radio (Enough dreadful ones do, so why not good ones?). Because, let's face it, music, is a business, no matter how much people say that they're in it for the songs rather than the money, they still have to pay the bills. Sure, it's an awesome job, the best in the world, but it is also tough, expensive and tiring. So yes, I'm perfectly cool with bands getting a bit of a break. I mean, you talk about bands selling out, but define that for me. For me, selling out is when a previously good band starts making bad music with the aim of it being commercially successful. Now where, in that definition, is the word 'radio' or, god forbid, 'tv'? You claim to be fans, but are you really if you just drop them once everyone else gets into them? Surely, you should feel PROUD of an amazing band that is doing so well. I know that I do! Besides, if someone who hasn't heard of a band before hears them on the radio, and genuinely loves the music, then why can't they be allowed to love the band as much as the person who has been to every concert since the beginning? It's hardly their fault that they hadn't heard of the band before! This kind of behaviour makes you seem elitist, stuck-up and snobby.

2) You are stereotyping yourselves. You claim that you don't want to be pigeonholed, that you don't want people to judge you...well chill out a bit! You'll be liked one hellva lot more! Also, let's say that by chance, you like a song that gets played on the radio (That you didn't 'discover' 6 months before), what do you do then? Call it a 'guilty pleasure'? Pretend that you hate it? I mean, come on! In 5 years time, tops, you'll realise what a fool you were and you'll have missed out on some great pop songs! Don't do that! 

By all means, listen to 'unfashionable' bands, please, do, but don't be so mean to people who don't (Or can't) go to indie gigs or spend all their time looking for new bands on myspace. It's not cool, it's not clever, and it's not 'alternative'.

So if you don't mind me, I'm going to go to my room and sing along shamelessly to Taylor Swift, Fall Out Boy and other such 'mainstream' rubbish. Why? Because it's bloody good music.

From, me.

P.S.: Here's a quote for you. “If for one minute you think you're better than a sixteen year old girl in a Green Day t-shirt, you are sorely mistaken. Remember the first time you went to a show and saw your favorite band. You wore their shirt, and sang every word. You didn't know anything about scene politics, haircuts, or what was cool. All you knew was that this music made you feel different from anyone you shared a locker with. Someone finally understood you. This is what music is about.”
-Gerard Way
  • Current Music
    The Resolution - Jack's Mannequin