November 6th, 2006

(no subject)

It’s June- the air outside is a dark navy blue. It’s sticky and breathing it in takes a sort of effort. I have no idea what time it is, somewhere in between midnight and dawn. I carefully crawl out of bed, feet slowly lowering onto soft carpet. It takes what seems like five minutes just to get out my bedroom door, wincing as it squeaks and checking to make sure I didn’t wake up the still body calmly sleeping on my big pink bed. The moonlight hits his body in sweeping lines through my blinds- he’s shirtless, and from here his scattered tattoos are just black spots on gray and white striped skin. His mouth is partly open, face peaceful, and after a couple seconds I can see his chest slowly rising and falling with each silent breath- although, every once in a while he snores, and I can’t help but smile. His work boots are sitting on the ground near my door. I almost trip on them on the way out.
Once I quietly pull the door shut, I walk around to the front and head towards the street. I’m barefoot and the ground is wet. I don’t even know why I came out here. I guess I couldn’t sleep, like most other nights. But, I mean, this time it felt different. It was like my mind was screaming a thousand different things and it was so loud that I was afraid he’d wake up and hear it. Part of me wanted to stay there and curl up next to him and the other part wanted to run the hell away. I remember how he looked at me earlier that night- eyes blue, smile genuine. And, honestly? It scared the shit out of me.
pikki5

(no subject)

Dear ABC,

Congratulations, you have taken the first step in the direction of creating a society where freedom of speech is a mortal sin and where ‘personal opinion’ are dirty words. You are painting us a picture of a strangely Orwellian future with our society straying towards one of censorship and edited, altered and manipulated media. I fear that the only thing George Orwell got wrong was the date.

Let me just start by saying that disappointed and outraged doesn’t even begin to cover how I feel about the Glass House being axed. If it was just a matter of ratings or that the show had run its course and become obsolete that would be one thing. That would be a fair and just reason for taking the show off the air. It’s not fair though, to take a television show off the air when it is clearly in its prime, with its ratings through the roof and its audience in numbers that are higher than almost any show currently aired by the ABC (its peak audience clocked in at 860,000 viewers)[1]. Frankly, it’s just not logical on the part of the ABC to take a show off that is winning accolades (that have been too long coming) and is actually appealing to a younger demographic. No broadcaster in their right mind would take off such a programme, so why exactly has the Glass House been axed?

It would be blind and naïve to think that the recent Anti-bias policies adopted by the ABC have nothing to do with it. Though even that train of thought does not seem to completely explain things.

In Mark Scott’s (Managing Director) address to the Sydney Institute on the Editorial Values of the ABC that the new Anti-bias policies (that have clearly seen the Glass House thrown from the air) would "ensure that ABC audiences can see and hear a broad range of viewpoints on matters of importance” [2] If I am not mistaken political matters are of importance and also, if I’m not mistaken, the Glass House offers a wide range of viewpoints. I could be biased, but that sounds a little hypocritical.

Also mentioned in the address by Mark Scott was that all shows containing opinion shall have to be marked as so. I find it terribly sad that it has come to a stage that the viewer must be warned if programming is going to contain a ‘shock, gasp, horror!’ opinion. That society has come to such a point as that it must be forewarned so it can avoid the sin of being audience to individual thought is disgusting.

Another matter so graciously addressed by Mr Scott, was that of the 170,000 contacts ABC received from the public each year, only half a percent (0.5%) are complaints about political bias.[3] So explain to me why you aren’t addressing the problems or concerns that the other 99.5% are contacting you about? (That’s 169,150 people). If political bias really isn’t that important to the public (because obviously they have more important things to complain about) then why are you taking off a show that the public so clearly love? The Glass House’s average audiences clocks in at about 728000[4], which is almost seven times the amount of people who contact the ABC and a whooping eight hundred and fifty six times the amount of people who contact the ABC with complaints about political bias. Things don’t quite seem to add up. Could it be that some of ABC’s friends in high places don’t like the truth being publicly exposed on a weekly basis? Though that’s just my opinion and I probably should have forewarned you that I was going to make a statement that was not completely impartial. Not to be bias or anything, but the facts seemingly say that you’re just begging for any excuse to get this piece of crafted satire that exposes faults in the cabal of established power off the air.

So besides feeling sad about one of my favourite shows being axed, I’ll be honest, I am scared. I am only sixteen and between bias Anti-bias policies, US Patriot Acts that leave nothing sacred and World Intellectual Property Laws that make speaking out and being assured of your own words reaching the public’s ears almost impossible, I’m scared of the what future I’m going to spend my life living in will be like.

But in the spirit of your own brand of infallible, irrevocable impartiality I say to you ‘Good on you ABC, keep up the good honest work!’

(no subject)

dear you,
i don't like him anymore. i KNEW you thought i did. i could tell. i don't know how to make you believe me. just trust me baby. i love you. you need to trust me.
-me