Verdie (alovysa) wrote in _l_i_t_,
Verdie
alovysa
_l_i_t_

• Mood:
  • Music:

Wake Up!!!!

Ok...This is me getting this community back into action. so booyah...anyway...answer this meme thing...hopefully it wil inspire discussion...here goes with my answers.

Total number of Books I own: 121(I just counted :D)
Last Book I paid Money For The complete chronicals of Narnia
Last Book I read Mystic River by Dennis Lehanne...currently reading Les Miserables by Hugo and Henry and June by Anais Nihn.
Five Books that mean a lot to me and why 1. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. This was one of the books I read while i was in the hospital and it really spoke to me. There is something magical about the bronte sisters, whenever I read any of them, I am instantly transported. It sounds cheesy, but this is one of the books that made me realize I was destined to study literature forthe rest of my life.

2. Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Wolfe. This is one of the best representations of stream of Conciousness out there. Wolfe Was a landmark not only of Chick!lit, but literature as a whole. she connects people to emotions in ways not even Joyce and Faulkner can. truly amazing novel. Plus, I wrote about it on the AP Exam.

3. The Awakening by Kate Chopin. The first novel I was ever truly willing to stand up and argue for. This girl in my english class bad mouthed Edna Pontellier, I swear, I stood up and listed the reasons that she was a strong woman to the class. Edna, it seemed, was me as I read this novella. She is every woman that has ever lived against the grain. To read The Awakening is to understand the nature of being a woman.

4. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith. Because there has to be a buildings roman on everyone's list of books that mean a lot to them. ATGiB is my buildings roman. it is the coming of age novel for people who don't really like coming of age novels. there is a little bit of everything in the pages. truly amazing. truly essential.

5. The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. The only novel of a great author and beautiful poet. So tragically flawed, Esther Greenwood is more like myself than any character on this list. The institution at Bellvue is more like the adolescent medicine ward than any interpritation I have ever seen or read. This book got me through some really hard times, it may have depressed me and reminded me of old times, but it helped me to grow strong and not return to old bad habits. If only Plath were alive so I could thank her. I have nothing left to do but return the favor.
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

Error

default userpic
    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 4 comments