Kill Me Now
Kill Me Now is a daily news source for all your The Killers needs. Feel free to add it to your friends list or bookmark it. Remember to check out the links on the sidebar as well.

July 2007
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31

Site Info
Kill Me Now is run by wickedcherub, staralfur and Christina. All sources are credited as stated, please forward any credit queries to us. Banner created by Boo. Layout assisted by Ignited's tutorial.

Week 101 : Day 3 : "Tulsa", Brandon commentary on The Smiths, LA reviews

News

Excerpt from an interview with Rufus Wainwright from this month's Word magazine, about the song "Tulsa" (more info here):
"...We only met that one time, and we were gonna possibly sing a song together later on, but that never happened. Brandon is one of the great beauties of showbusiness right now. And he kind of represents a kind of brash American... mysteriousness which is sort of extinct at the moment. I do relate him to a sort of Brando character - somewhat conservative but yet volatile and also extremely handsome. But also highly sensitive. So..." he concludes brightly, "it's just a good old gay fantasy."
- thanks to lilylou!

Interview

The Smiths - You Just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby from Uncut, March 2007 issue
- thanks to Vauxhall

Note: Excerpt of an annotated countdown of The Smiths' 30 greatest songs.

28. "You Just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby"

Brandon Flowers, The Killers: This LP had the biggest impact on me. I was living in a small town in Utah and kids my age were into Korn and Tool, but I was on the other end of the spectrum. Years later, I went to Salford Lads Club and took pictures. We played a gig at Manchester Academy, and across the street is the same church Morrissey sings about in "Vicar In A Tutu". Even driving by a cemetery I was thinking: "Is this the cemetery he was talking about?" You can walk down the streets and you can hear the songs come to life. "You Just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby" is the best Smiths song - it lit a fire in me when I heard it. I loved it immediately.

Review

The Killers slay LA crowd from NME.com, 10th April 2007

Las Vegas rockers sell out massive arena

The Killers played a sold-out show at the massive Los Angeles Staples Center last night (April 9).

Kicking things off with an elaborate light show and an explosion of confetti, the Las Vegas quartet started off their set with the three opening tracks from their latest album, 'Sam's Town'.

Frontman Brandon Flowers looked dapper in a dark suit, and kept between-song banter to a minimum.

"LA! LA! LA!" he shouted to the 20,000-strong crowd before launching into the band's hit single 'When You Were Young'.

A large sign reading 'Sam's Town' hung over the top of the stage, and beneath it another sign said 'Welcome'.

Despite the band's minimal crowd interaction, the audience ate it up, pumping their fists into the air and singing at the top of their lungs to hits including 'Mr Brightside' and 'Bones'.

The band said their first goodnight after the hour-and-a-half set, but quickly gave in to the crowd's hollers for more.

The Killers' first encore included 'For Reasons Unknown' with Flowers wailing on keyboards, and the uplifting crowd-pleaser 'All These Things That I've Done'.

But they didn't end there. The band soon returned for a second encore to perform 'Exiltude' -- the farewell song from 'Sam's Town' -- and a rousing repeat of 'When You Were Young' to a sea of mobile phones that lit up the arena.

Review

The Killers bury themselves alive from OC Register, 10th April 2007
by Ben Wener.
- thanks to stace!

Review: The Killers drowned their first SoCal arena show in a flood of synth and guitar fuzz.

When the Killers stormed L.A.'s Wiltern LG for a pair of gigs last October, it was plainly evident that the stylish Las Vegans had outgrown the midsize venues they were accustomed to playing.

Conjuring a vast sonic expanse to support the group's simple but infectiously anthemic tunes - and enveloping themselves in a faux-Western motif to enhance the scenery of its second album, "Sam's Town" - the quartet revealed a rousing show tailor-made for arenas. It needed polishing and at least a half-hour more material to really feel like the proper vehicle to make a major-scale leap, but it nonetheless seemed destined to wow a whole new generation of concert-goers once a bigger tour was underway.

That last part surely came true during the Killers' sold-out Staples Center performance Monday night. There's a reason why the band has become so popular in such a relatively short time, and it's hardly because the Killers are so much better than their peers, as lead singer Brandon Flowers enjoys claiming. It's because the glitzy quartet has a knack for uncomplicated, soaring, sometimes soul-edifying choruses.

While other young outfits grapple with identity crises or strain to reinvent the rock 'n' roll wheel, the Killers merely refer to U2's hook-'em-in playbook. "Bones," "When You Were Young," "Mr. Brightside," "Somebody Told Me," "All These Things That I've Done" - the number of inescapable, chant-worthy hits the group has already amassed is impressive indeed.

No wonder a much-maligned critical stumble like "Sam's Town" hasn't stemmed the tide of fans now rabid about the group's music. And all ages, too: The thirtysomethings to my left were leaping about as excitedly as the teenage girl behind me, who amazingly didn't realize "Somebody Told Me" - the band's first single - was a Killers song.

Yet if remodeled Flowers and friends seem locked into U2's trajectory with monorail-like momentum, they are nonetheless several years away from measuring up to even the weakest effort from that towering influence. Just because they now play upon U2's stage doesn't mean they have the slightest idea what to do there.

Problem No. 1, and it's a huge obstacle that must be overcome immediately: The band and its sound engineers have absolutely no idea how to properly blend and balance the blow-ya-back force of its synthetic rock.

Flowers' beds of sustained keyboard chords - sometimes doubled in strength by an auxiliary member, other times tape-tracked so he can sing unchained - are partly what separate the Killers' Big '80s rehash from the neo-new-wave approach of so many other bands today. But it can no more be the dominant sound than Dave Keuning's chugging, heavily distorted guitar riffs. And when both are overcranked, as was often the case here, the wash of fuzz can obliterate everything in its path.

Indeed, for much of the set - especially during "Jenny Was a Friend of Mine" and "Smile Like You Mean It" - Flowers came off as if he were singing beside a jet engine, when so many of the band's songs (and those in particular) call for a cleaner, less in-your-face approach. Nuance, it seems, has flown right past these gents; it was only when Flowers would plunk down at his upright piano that his vocals would come through clearly.

With two exceptions, I should add: "Read My Mind," the best song off "Sam's Town," and "All These Things That I've Done," one of the most effective sing-alongs this decade, were head and shoulders better than anything else they delivered during this slightly expanded replay of those Wiltern shows, replete with a sloppy "Indie Rock 'n' Roll" (retire it, guys) and a Bowie cover tacked onto the end of "My List."

Those standouts were bell-like, the swooping melody of "Read My Mind" bolstered by bittersweet chording. But that's still only two great tracks among an hour of catchy but less overwhelming matter. Therein lies another weakness with the Killers right now: They draw by the tens of thousands every night (including a sold-out stop Tuesday at San Diego's Rimac Arena), yet they don't have enough would-be classic material yet to flesh out a riveting arena show.

Nor do they have enough charisma. Flowers is a refreshing departure from central-casting frontmen; his arch, dapper manner can become unexpectedly compelling when a heavy blast overtakes him, causing his diminutive frame to spasm. But at no point during the Killers' 90-minute set did I feel like he had the crowd in the palm of his hand - not the way My Chemical Romance's Gerard Way did recently at the Forum.

It takes more than a handful of songs and a red-draped set to make for a superb large-scale attraction. My Chem isn't fully there any more than the Killers are, but it at least has a leader wisely drawing inspiration from Freddie Mercury. The Killers merely have red, white and blue confetti showering the stage and "Joshua Tree"-dour black-and-white photography as a lead-in.

A nice start, but it's a long way from being fresh - or exceptional.

Media Watch
The Killers will be on Much More Music Profile today
There is an interview with Mark in Bass Guitar Magazine (March/April issue)
The Killers will be on VH1's VSPOT Top 20 Countdown on May 5
The Killers will be on Radio 2's Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band special on June 2

--

For all the latest news, register as a member of the official community: http://comunita.thekillersmusic.com

Comments
(Anonymous)
the killers bury themselves alive!!

does anyone else agree that u can see such a difference between the reviews the band got for their gigs over here in the last couple of months compared to the reviews they are getting so far back in the US?? i dont think its fair to say that they are "a long way from being fresh or exceptional" or that RMM and ATTTID are their only two standout tracks..they are one of the biggest bands out there right now!!

(Anonymous)

sigh... the response between US and UK is always so different.

I always thought the charm of Brandon was that he could get the crowd in a frenzy without trying.

(no subject) - (Anonymous)
(Anonymous)

^ I know. Their fan base is pretty different. MCR fan are more young, teenage, angsty.... so they would be louder, more excitable, im guessing.

(Anonymous)
mcr sux

c'mon ,the killers are far greater than my chemical romance,mark these words the longevety between them is obvious,the killers will out last MCR. EMO bands are a noveltey...you never here about blink 182,good charlotte,limp bizkit,alien ant farm,linkin park,shall i go on? the killers are in a league of there own.Either you got it or you don't got it.In this case the killers do "GO IT!",SO TO ALL THE CRITICS OUT THERE KEEP YOU POINTLESS OPINONS TO YOURSELVES!let the fans decide for themselves.......

(Anonymous)
sheesh...

i have to wonder what reviewers expect. i so totally agree that one of the great things about this band is that with minimal interaction - they can have the crowd eating out of their hands.

i wouldn't trust that review from OC register -- i'd trust fan reviews more than this. obviously, the critic isn't a fan of the band and automatically gave an unjust review.

(Anonymous)
reply to comment

your absoultley right my friend!

(Anonymous)
attn.Ben Wener

YOU ARE A MORON!GIVE ME A BREAK!YOUR A WINY LITTLE BITCH THAT IS COMPLAING ABOUT NOTHING! ABVIOUSLY YOU ARE JEALOUS OF A BAND THAT DOES NOT CONFORM TO YOUR TASTE.AS I CAN SEE YOUR FIXADED TO YOUR EMO BANDS FROM ORANGE COUNTY,AND WE ALL KNOW THAT MUSIC IS A ONE TRICK PONY!SO UNTIL YOU HAVE A VALID OPINION,SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!!!!THANK YOU