September 23rd, 2004

tractor

(no subject)

CEDAR FALLS --- The AIDS Memorial Quilt will be on display at the University of Northern Iowa in Maucker Union's Old Central Ballroom, from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday, and 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Tuesday.

"The AIDS Memorial Quilt is a visual reminder of the devastating effects of AIDS," said Joan Thompson, UNI health aid coordinator. Friends and family members of individuals who have died from complications due to AIDS have sewn together 18-square-foot panels to commemorate the life of the deceased.

Twelve sections of the quilt will be on display, including panels in memory of Iowans.

The Black Hawk County Health Department will offer free HIV tests in Maucker Union from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Monday and Tuesday.

A panel discussion, "Face-to-Face with HIV/AIDS," will take place 8 p.m. Tuesday in Schindler Education Center, Room 252. Panel members will share personal stories about living with HIV/AIDS.

The two-day event is sponsored by UNI Wellness and Recreation Services, the Cedar AIDS Support System and the Cedar Valley NAMES Project Trust. For more information, call Joan Thompson, UNI health aid coordinator, (319) 273-2198.
Isaac the giant goof

Review from a Stranger

Well, folks, it was bound to happen. I found something cheap, fun and not alcohol-related in Iowa City.

I went to the 9 o'clock show at Public Space One to see Paperback Rhino. Hilarity ensued. From the moment I walked up the stairs smathered in posters, artwork, and murals, I was greeted by a friendly face and promptly dropped my donation into the mouth of a drawing. I sat around, read some of the literature there, then the lights dimmed and energy filled the space. From the opening welcome to the ending heart on the dry-erase board, the troupe of PBR made everyone feel welcomed. The skits were great, and I chuckled heartily and laughed out loud quite a few times. This wasn't any of that ol' "Drew Carey trying to do improv/ABC junk". This was true improv - I know, because I was part of the audience.

The cast is well-trained in the art and you could see the friendship and easy-going competition between them. I realize that this wasn't the whole gang, either, but those I saw on stage (and the ones that were pointed out in the audience) were there to entertain the public.

They did just that.

There was the usual "help support us" chatter, but it was intelligent and not pleading. These people do it because they love it - and our donations help them continue doing it - for our enjoyment. It's one big circle, people. I recommend everyone to check 'em out. If anything, it's a great thing that happens before you start drinking.

Thank you PBR/Public Space One. I will return..
  • Current Mood
    pleased pleased