January 19th, 2004

sarcasm

Caucus tonight!

Hey, all you democratic kiddos who currently are/will be 18 by November 4, get your butts out there and caucus tonight! It starts at 6:30, so be there ahead of time to get signed in. Or be square! *cackle*

I wish I could find some resources on how to find your polling locations, but I can't. So you'll just have to ask your parents/neighbors/resident political fiends.
  • Current Mood
    bouncy bouncy

Yet more caucus information.

I have noticed a lot of people confused over just what exactly a "caucus" is.

Many people know they have something to do with elections, but that's about it.

So some quick things about what they are and what they do.

A caucus is not a general election. In fact, it wouldn't really be accurate to call it a vote. You don't go at your leisure to your voting location during the day to cast a ballot.

It would be more appropriate to think of a caucus as a meeting of Democrats (or republicans) to decide on certain issues. The main function of the caucus this year for the Democrats is to decide who they want to run for president against the incumbent (uh, that would be G. W. Bush for those living under a rock)

Here's how it works:

You show up at 6:30 at your designated caucus location. This is not necessarily your voting location. Caucuses are a party function, not a government function. Not a registered Democrat? Don't worry, you can change party affiliation at the door. (Republicans have to have been a registered republican for the past 4 months I believe)

At 7pm the people there are counted and the fun begins.

It is basically like playing red rover with the fate of your nation. People will be asked to move to certain areas of the room based on who your choice is. This is why caucusing is far different than voting because your support for a candidate is public unlike voting, which is done in secret.

When everyone is in their groups, they are counted. The undecided people remain in the middle. A group has to have a certain percentage to be able to send a vote on (I believe its 25%, you pol. sci. majors can check that for me). If no one has 25%, then people are allowed to change spots. Then they are counted again. This goes on until certain thresholds are attained.

Then you vote on resolutions. For most of you, however, supporting a candidate will be your first priority.

Anyway, most websites for candidates (www.johnkerry.com , and whatever that dean guy's webpage is) will have areas where you can find your caucus location.

Anyway, happy caucusing!