July 4th, 2005

First Contact

The rumbling of my stomach wakes me - but I don't move for a while. After all, some of those Alien things seem to have good hearing - I've survived this far and I don't intend to die just yet.

I sit and listen for a while - but I don't hear anything and so I quietly drop down from where I'd been sleeping. Not entirely sure what it is but it reminds me of those air conditioning conduits you always see in the movies. It wasn't very big - but at 5'1" you don't need too much space.

I take the crossbow and the knife with me, but leave the rucksack with the rest of my belongings in the conduit. It's easier to hunt without it.

After about half an hour of walking - I spot it. A dog - looks like some kind of collie - it's almost as skinny as I've become but I've learned over the past months not to turn my nose up at anything - even if it does remind me of Penny, Bob and Tuppence, our sheepdogs back home. It doesn't look as if it's nursing - so I follow it, treading quietly so I don't spook it or anything. Finally I follow it down one of the narrower tunnels - hoping to corner it at the end. But as I raise the crossbow, it doesn’t move - it just stares at me… no… it’s staring past me.

I turn round, a sick feeling in my stomach. It’s as I feared… there’s one of those… things… blocking the way I came.

“O Cachu!” - I exclaim not worrying about being quiet - after all - I know it’s already seen me.

I start to run in the opposite direction - I’m not entirely sure where these tunnels lead - but with luck I’ll happen upon somewhere big enough to hide but too small for it to follow me.

I almost run into the dead end - and it’s then I realise there’s no hope. I can hear the footsteps coming up slowly behind me - it’s obvious that it knows the tunnels. I sink to my knees and wait for inevitable death - whispering a last prayer to myself.

“Hail Mary, Full of Grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art thou amongst women and Blessed is the Fruit of thy Womb, Jesus… Holy Mary, Mother of God. Pray for us sinners now… at the hour of our death. Amen.”

{{Open to Gunn}}

Here we go again

I caught the smell of blood early but kept my distance, keeping up my patrol of the camp. Whatever happened it looked bad, and with the amount of blood Faith seemed to have lost didn't indicate otherwise.

After a while Xander and Willow leave, leaving Wes to look over Faith by himself, so it looks like she's going to be okay. I slowly make my way across to where she's lying, giving Wes a half-hearted smile. Her breathing's shallow and it looks like she's been coughing up blood as well.

I don't know how long I sit there, just looking, not really able to believe what I can see. Faith's the strongest of all of us. Not knowing what else to do I get up and start walking away, catching a glimpse of Willow walking back towards Faith as I do so.

{Open to Willow}