June 1st, 2005

xan//smile - korn_peep

History Repeating?

Characters: Xander, Willow
Date: Day Three (night)
Setting: Griffin Park, main encampment
Rating: PG-13

It takes me longer than I’d have thought it would to get back to camp. Anyone’d think I was putting it off or something.

My mind’s reeling, I can’t get a handle on what could have happened and I think I’d rather believe Faith really has gone insane because if what she said is true that means that Willow’s been alive the whole time. Alone.

Finally I make it back and frown instantly as I notice the fire’s out. There was plenty of wood to keep it burning so something must have happened. My heart sinks as I realize that we left Dawn and Fred here – I have no idea what Oz is up to these days but pinning him down is getting more and more difficult. And Wes? Something’s really wrong there. I don’t know if I could trust him to notice what’s going on around him to protect anyone else.

Wes. With his odd fixation on secrecy and staying hidden. He’d have been the one to put out the fire, I realize belatedly. As if it’s going to make a difference if the fire’s out – if they decide to attack having a few burning branches handy can only be a good thing.  I check the ground and notice that there’s been a lot of movement lately, but nothing that would indicate a scuffle. That’s got to be good, right?

Wow. Can’t even delude myself right now – there wouldn’t necessarily be any signs. No one ever found Warren did they?

I need to know.  There’s no point putting it off any longer.

Taking a deep breath, I head over to where the girls have ended up sleeping. There. Huddled on the ground as if she’s trying to take up as little space as possible. Willow.

I crouch down next to her, she looks so small – skinny almost, as if she’s not been eating. Gently, trying not to wake her, I lift a hand and brush aside a strand of hair that’s fallen over her face. Red hair. I breathe a sigh of relief as I register that. Her eyes flicker beneath the lids and I wonder what demons she’s fighting in her dreams.

I wonder if she’s winning.

{open to Willow}