?

No account? Create an account

Thu, Sep. 4th, 2008, 07:51 pm
kimberlyfdr: Straight Women Packing?

I was searching for information about packing soft/hard and while most of the information was directed to the FtM community I did find one passing mention of straight women packing. I was wondering if this was a common occurrence or well-known occurrence? Since I can't find any further information aside from that passing reference I've had no luck in my searches, but I thought maybe someone in the community could provide more insight. Have you heard of straight women packing? Is there any information available about it?

Fri, Sep. 5th, 2008 01:00 am (UTC)
eidolonamorata

... I've never heard of a straight woman packing. Why on earth would they? I mean, I guess, unless it was part of some kind of Halloween costume...

Fri, Sep. 5th, 2008 01:22 am (UTC)
kimberlyfdr

Well, packing hard could possibly lead to pegging, so I can understand the reasons there. And playing against gender stereotypes is another reason a straight woman might pack. But since I don't know myself, I'm just thinking aloud. That's why I was hoping someone in the community had more knowledge.

Fri, Sep. 5th, 2008 01:22 am (UTC)
rhianwren

Do You mean straight as in heterosexual, or straight as in cissexual (not trans)?

I've heard of stone butches, and butch dykes packing. I've never heard of a femme lesbian packing, and I don't think that a heterosexual woman would even know what a packer is.

Most of the 'straight' (as in heterosexual & cissexual) women I know of that packed later decided to transition and now identify as homosexual men.

Fri, Sep. 5th, 2008 01:28 am (UTC)
kimberlyfdr

I was defining it as heterosexual woman, as that's the classification I believe the reference was making. (And I'm a heterosexual woman who knows what a packer is, so there some of us out there;) Everyone that I know first-hand who packs are either transgendered or drag kings, so this was the first reference I had ever heard about packing in the heterosexual community.

Fri, Sep. 5th, 2008 01:37 am (UTC)
rhianwren

Well, yeah, you are right. There probably are a number of straight women that know about packing.

I didn't actually think about that! *shame*

Fri, Sep. 5th, 2008 02:59 am (UTC)
shiruartist

All I can think of is drag kings packing... and cross-dressing.(My mind is somehow making a difference between the two.)
(And drag kings are more known in my mind for being less than cis.)

Fri, Sep. 5th, 2008 03:19 am (UTC)
kimberlyfdr

I can totally see packing in the genderqueer community, but I'm still wondering if perhaps straight women who pack might fall within that definition but refuse to self-identify as such? I'm not sure.

Fri, Sep. 5th, 2008 03:45 am (UTC)
shiruartist

I think there's an episode of Sex & the City where Charlotte packs (socks) for a photo shoot that this attractive guy is taking of women dressing up as men, and the narrator later goes on to tell how sort of freeing/interesting it is for Charlotte.

...That's all I got. ^^u

Fri, Sep. 5th, 2008 04:21 pm (UTC)
littlegreen33

It really isn't that uncommon for a straight woman to express some interest in this. It's a fairly common desire to want to switch roles in some manner, particularly in a sexual context. This has more to do with power dynamics and traditional roles than gender. Soft packing may have more to do with gender, but even then I think it is unfair to claim that a cisgender female identified person cannot play with gender without having this effect their identity. Gender is restricting, even for straight ciswomen. Personally I've known women who have packed, who in no way identify as genderqueer or transgender, etc... Often times it can be attributed to simple curiosity.

And to the OP, I'm sorry, but I really don't have any good suggestions for sites geared toward straight women. I think probably you would have more luck searching lesbian oriented sites. While it may not be exactly what you are looking for, it will cater to female identified individuals.

Fri, Sep. 5th, 2008 10:48 pm (UTC)
kimberlyfdr

Any insight is good, so I appreciate this :D I agree, gender is restricting.
(Deleted comment)

Fri, Sep. 5th, 2008 10:49 pm (UTC)
kimberlyfdr

I would assume that would refer to a woman who generally identifies as a heterosexual female, but who dresses up to roleplay as a gay male?

Not necessarily (I mean, it could, but I'm not sure that should be the only assignment made to the practice)